yurikoles - 2015-08-24

First I want to mention that you site has good minimalistic design and context that is clear from most of crappy marketing buzzwords and techniques. But there is point that I need to mention.

In the developer’s FAQ at first you give many reasons to developers not to use non limited LZMA and 7z formats implementation in their programs by scaring them away with limitations of LGPL that is used in 7-zip app. Most of devs will even don't go to the point where you mention LZMA SDK and it's public domain status. There is a common rule is to deliver good news before bad ones. I also have opinion that specific details of current 7z GUI dll limitations need to be at the very bottom of the page as I don’t see many use cases for a random developer to reuse your LGPL’d implementation of 7z win-only GUI.

In side bar there is a link to the LZMA SDK page, but first-time visitor may not get into that LZMA and LZMA2 is actual heart or a work horse of whole this compression magic.

So I propose to mention on home page that this site is also a home/upstream for LZMA and LZMA2 compression formats. I have noticed that "7z format" page mentions this, but in modern web explicit calls to action become widely used because they help to guide user through site. I think that simple sidebar menu is just not enough in 2015.

So another proposal may be to offer visitor to read about cool 7z format and LZMA compression.

And also this crappy sf.net that so often likes you to offer some regystry boosters, offers it’s own downloaders/installers for apps and so on. But I assume that many of us have ad-blocking extensions installed or don’t get fooled by this ads. But either way this site is very limited in functionality. Today many users have Google Account so I think that there will be no cons for use of Google Groups for discussion.

But this is low-effort variant. My proposal is to switch to GitHub. You can’t even imagine have it will be good use it. They offer so many advantages for open source projects for free: source code hosting, task and issue tracking, discussion, project’s home page hosting, pull request. And whole site if full of other modern technologies, simple ones, but with this number of small features that you will notice they make you happier.