Compression speed with gzip

2004-11-16
2012-12-08
  • Nobody/Anonymous

Hi,

Is it just me or is the compression speed of 7-zip very slow when using the gzip format, as opposed to using the command line utility from www.gzip.com.

I'm using WinXP SP2 on a 1.7Ghz 512Mb PC with 7-Zip 4.10 and i'm compressing a 652Mb text file (Oracle database dump file) using normal gzip compression and a word size of 32.  It takes in excess of 15 mins to compress the file in 7-Zip, but only 1min 1s to compress the same file with all standard options using the command line utility of gzip 1.3.5.  Apparently, 7-zip uses the algorithm from gzip.com, so that cannot be the difference, and just because 7-zip is a GUI should not affect the performance in this way.  Can anyone with any knowledge of this explain the reason for the slowdown?

I have noticed that the other algorithms also seem quite slow when compared to WinZip and WinRAR, but this is just a general feeling and not something I have investigated further.  Has anyone else noticed this difference in speed or tried to benchmark 7-Zip against other compression utilities?

Regards,
    Andrew

• my space

my space - 2004-11-16

> Is it just me or is the compression speed of 7-zip very slow when using the gzip format,
      > as opposed to using the command line utility from http://www.gzip.com.

Yes, you are right : 7za is often slower than gzip.

My test :
      87224320 glibc-2.3.1.tar
      17882515 glibc-2.3.1.tar.gz  - 27 sec with gzip 1.3.5 from cygwin  (gzip -9 glibc-2.3.1.tar)
      16010310 glibc-2.3.1.tar.gz  - 40 sec with 7za 4.10b (7za a -tgzip glibc-2.3.1.tar.gz glibc-2.3.1.tar)

So 7-zip is twice slower, but 7-zip has a better compression ratio on the .gz format !

> Apparently, 7-zip uses the algorithm from gzip.com, so that cannot be the difference
      No : 7-zip uses another algorithm to produce a smaller file in the Deflate compressor !

By the way, gzip has some parts of code that are written in pure assembler,
      whereas 7-zip is pure C/C++ code.

conclusion : 7-zip is often slower but 7-zip often compresses better.

• Nobody/Anonymous

Hi and thanks for the reply.

> Apparently, 7-zip uses the algorithm from gzip.com, so that cannot be the difference
      >No : 7-zip uses another algorithm to produce a smaller file in the Deflate compressor !

I had only assumed that the algorithm was the same as Jean-Loup Gailly's web site (www.gzip.org - sorry for the bad link in main post) had mentioned that 7-zip was a program that used "the gzip compression code", which leads the reader to believe that he is referring to his own code.  From his web-site:

"Is there a Windows interface for gzip?
      PowerArchiver 6.1, 7-zip and Winzip include the gzip compression code and can decompress .gz and tar.gz files. Win-GZ can compress and decompress files in gzip format. Please note that gzip, 7-zip, PowerArchiver 6.1 and Win-GZ are freeware but you must register Winzip and PowerArchiver > 6.1 if you use them regularly."

I think it is a shame that 7-Zips implementation is so slow.  WinRAR's RAR format and 7-Zip's 7z format are both good competitors for best compression (which takes considerably longer than ZIP to compress), but I would also like an option to compress to a reasonable size, but very quickly.  ZIP format fulfills this quite well, but the gzip format has the potential to compress to roughly the same size as ZIP (in most cases a few Kb lower), in a very quick time.  If this is due to the gzip CLI being written in assembly then there is nothing to do about it - it's unreasonable to expect Igor to put that much work in and re-write portions of code in assembly to gain a speed increase when the functionality is ok, but if it is something else like unneccessary code in a loop that is slowing things down, then maybe he could look at optimising things.

Regards,
      Andrew

• Nobody/Anonymous

Hi,

I just want to clear up what I think is a misunderstanding:  I realise that 7-zip contains it's own algorithm for compression called 7z, amongst other algorithms, and in my main post, I am referring to the code for the gzip algorithm when I say that '7-Zip uses the algorithm from www.gzip.org'.  I do not mean that the 7z format uses the algorithm from that web site.  As I am lead to believe by www.gzip.org that the code for gzip is the same, I wonder why the slowdown is so great.

Regards,
      Andrew

• Nobody/Anonymous

The slowdown mainly comes from the major speed optimization in gzip. Furthermore, gzip sacrifies the compression ratio in favor of speed.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks