7-Zip 9.32 alpha

2013-12-01
2014-07-30
<< < 1 .. 3 4 5 6 7 > >> (Page 5 of 7)
  • Nicola Bressanin

Hello Igor, we use and appreciate 7zip a lot so..thanks!
    We tought it would be nice to have an updated archiver comparison chart, so here it is http://www.polarmachines.com/docs/7z.ods

• Alex Matsoka

Alex Matsoka - 2014-01-12

Игорь, простите, я по-русски напишу: пожалуйста, зарелизьте что нибудь более менее стабильное, чтобы по умолчанию алгоритм LZMA-2 был. Хоть ту же 9.22 бету, ей уже 2 года все пользуются. Я просто почему прошу - понимаете, люди же вумные стали, через 1 программисты, и знают что бета - плохо, а альфа - смерть, вообще. И что характерно, начальники. Если вам не сложно, я сам то не программист, а админ, и понимаю, что раз не далает человек, то причина есть у него. Просто чтобы уже LZMA-2 если он более-менее стабильный в вашей реализации стал фактичски стандартом для 7-zip. Или если я чего не понимаю, отпишите что там за сложности. С уважением.

Last edit: Alex Matsoka 2014-01-12
    • Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2014-01-13

I work only with latest version, that is alpha now.
      I don't want to update old 9.22 code.

• Ron Burk

Ron Burk - 2014-01-13

Thank you for the new alpha! Giving 9.32 a try,

a) the -sns option produces "not implemented", so I presume it isn't. However, it does at least let me manually backup streams. 9.20 when given a stream name like "test:strm" decides I've used a bad filename syntax.

b) But oops, there's a bug. In c:\what\ever create a file called "c" and give it a stream called "strm". If I then ask 7z to archive "c:strm", it defies Windows/NTFS convention and reads the stream in the file "c". It should instead have tried to load the file "c:.\strm". From MSDN http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa364404%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

When there is an ambiguity about whether a one-character name is a drive letter or a file name, Windows assumes it is a a drive letter if the string following the colon is a valid path, even if the drive letter is invalid.

Possibly silently backing up the wrong (and effectively hidden) file has some security implications. I wonder if there's a scenario where backup and restore leads to clobbering the victim's file with a stream I hid in a file I named after a drive letter.

c) The -spf switch does seem to permit some forms of absolute path, but not the \?\Volume{<GUID>}\ form of absolute path.

d) The -spf switch also doesn't seem to let me give an absolute path like "\?\c:\foo.bmp". This seems like the 9.20 treatment of stream names--the code is incorrectly objecting to syntax that it merely needed to pass on to the filesystem API. But I haven't looked at the code, so that's idle speculation.

e) I was interested in the -slt option, but it still gives me timestamps merely to seconds. OTOH, I guess I'm not clear on whether -mtc makes 7z store full 64-bit NTFS timestamps or if it's rounding them to seconds... If it is really storing the complete resolution, then obviously it would be nice to be able to view that information.

• wanezhiling

wanezhiling - 2014-01-14

http://www.sendspace.com/file/z5r1fs

An error occurs at the end.

• Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2014-01-14

Yes, the problem with exe-Certifacate:
      - EXE Stub
      - NSIS archive
      - Certificate

7-Zip sends only NSIS archive to NSIS handler, but NSIS archive refers to Exe Stub also to unpack uninstall.exe.

That problem will be partially fixed in next version.

• gorbchevo

gorbchevo - 2014-01-14

Dear Mr. Pavlov, you are doing an excellent job with still developing 7zip and I love to use your tool every day. But please do not bother releasing another beta/alpha before adding RAR5.X support. I want to get rid of this non-free software as soon as I can. Richard Stallman would understand me. I speak for myself but I believe other people may agree with my statement. Kind regards.

• - 2014-01-19

Hello developer of 7zip.

I love your product and I am using the latest version 9.32 alpha.

There is an issue. When I want to make a zip or 7z file. 7-zip running perfectly but it uses %96 of my CPU.. What the heck?

When the job finish CPU turns normal.

This is inform to you. Please check it. Thanks for amazing software for us ;)

Regards
    yigido

• john lee

john lee - 2014-01-20

No details about your pc, but not sure what you think is wrong & why you think this a problem- zipping is processor intensive. What are you comparing it with?

john

• PIK

PIK - 2014-01-22

@leon
    Wth is this? This is correct. f=bcj2 and exes are significantly smaller.

I though, with 9.3x and LZMA2 on Max or Ultra I dont more need voodoo things as superoptions like bcj2 hcf=on b01:1 b0s1:2 f=off and and and

:-\ :-\

• grml4d

grml4d - 2014-01-27

i am back with a new idea that it seems 7zip 9.30 alpha does not have and probably not 9.32 either .
    i am still doing win7x64 in vhds for my pcs and i use usb sticks for booting them .
    grub4dos can not handle and load in mem some gzip files , so i checked if compact.exe from M$ can reduce file enough so i can use a 8 Go stick for a 10 Go vhd [ even if i am not sure grub4dos can handle this format ] .
    when i used 7zip manager to store the compressed vhd , it stored the uncompressed file...
    my idea was to make stick bootable and directly extract the ntfs compressed file onto the stick . the stick not being able to have the original vhd .
    something to invent in options , may be a keep ntfs compressed files checkbox

Last edit: grml4d 2014-01-27
  • therube

therube - 2014-01-29

@wanezhiling, that is RAR5 & not currently supported by 7-zip.
    (Mentioned earlier in this thread.)

@bibi, works in 9.30 but not in 9.32.

• Rich McGrew

Rich McGrew - 2014-01-31

It cannot open Project64 1.6 save game files (which are in .ZIP format). Previous versions could open these files (I think, not 100% sure). To test, try making a save game from the Nintendo 64 emulator Project64 and try to open in 7-Zip. Or, I will include one as an attachment, and you can test this file in 7-Zip and other archivers that can open .ZIP files. The attachment is a save game file from Super Mario 64 from Project64 1.6 (which saves its games in .ZIP format). Please fix so 7-Zip can open this .ZIP file and others like it. Thank you. The size of this file should be 1,309,779 bytes. Anyway try and find what's odd about this .ZIP file and why it doesn't open in the latest alpha version of 7-Zip while most other .ZIP files do and correct the problem, thank you.

• Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2014-01-31

That archive contains incorrect dos timestamp value.
      Probably I'll fix that code in next version.

Last edit: Igor Pavlov 2014-01-31
      • Rich McGrew

Rich McGrew - 2014-02-06

Thank you for the fast response. For reference, Project64 1.6 savegames in .ZIP format are produced and read using version 0.15 beta of code by Giles Vollant from March 19, 1998 (I looked at Project64 1.6's source code, specifically zip.c, zip.h, unzip.c, and unzip.h to determine this). So those files are written and read by a VERY old version (0.15 beta from March 19, 1998) of Giles Vollant's Minizip library. It would thus be likely that other files written by old versions of that same zip compressor would likewise encounter the same error. There are probably other programs that include old versions of the Minizip library in their source code, and would therefore produce similar .ZIP archives with incorrect DOS timestamps. Hopefully you will be able to get 7-zip to open these somewhat-flawed .ZIP files. Thanks.

• Gilles Vollant

Gilles Vollant - 2014-05-07

I'm really sorry ! Can you say more about this bug? And check that current minizip is good?

• h11p5g

h11p5g - 2014-02-02

Hi Igor,

if using password protection without encrypted filenames, checksum is correct for file. This is changed for view in Rar5 (protection for gues password).
    Is it possible in 7-zip?

• Valentyn Shtronda

Hi.

Checksum calculation in 9.32 command line version is spoiled.

Command line:

7z.exe h -mm=sha256 file.txt

9.30 output:

7-Zip 9.30 alpha  Copyright (c) 1999-2012 Igor Pavlov  2012-10-26
    Scanning

sha256                                                                    Size  Name
    ---------------------------------------------------------------- -------------  ------------
    38361C5E378BE8ABA40DE2C43704651D8BAC2F528F6D81272A5CEE237DB11F5E          3714  file.txt
    ---------------------------------------------------------------- -------------  ------------
    38361C5E378BE8ABA40DE2C43704651D8BAC2F528F6D81272A5CEE237DB11F5E          3714

Files: 1
    Folders: 0
    Hash sum of data and file names: 1DD60B47F18C12970E7436B21D77BE68C6B7E82CBA9CFDD949EC6A879100BD59

Everything is Ok

9.32 output:

7-Zip [64] 9.32 alpha  Copyright (c) 1999-2013 Igor Pavlov  2013-12-01
    Scanning

CRC32             Size  Name
    -------- -------------  ------------
    F6ACA4ED          3714  file.txt
    -------- -------------  ------------
    F6ACA4ED          3714

Size: 3714

CRC32  for data:              F6ACA4ED

Everything is Ok

Kernel  Time =     0.031 =    4%
    User    Time =     0.000 =    0%
    Process Time =     0.031 =    4%    Virtual  Memory =      3 MB
    Global  Time =     0.670 =  100%    Physical Memory =      6 MB

This applies to both 32-bit and 64-bit versions (both versions in 9.30 are OK, both versions in 9.32 are not OK).

• Valentyn Shtronda

Is there a way to suppress time statistics?

Kernel  Time =     0.031 =    4%
    User    Time =     0.000 =    0%
    Process Time =     0.031 =    4%    Virtual  Memory =      3 MB
    Global  Time =     0.670 =  100%    Physical Memory =      6 MB

• Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2014-02-04

-slt switch

• Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2014-02-04

I've changed the switch to -scrc:
    -scrcsha256
    I'll fix help file in next version.
    Thanks for report!

• Valentyn Shtronda

Igor, thanks for prompt reply!

Please also fix help for -slt switch:
    1. It says that it shows technical information but actually it hides this info. Or better fix the switch to opposite: -slt shows info, -slt- hides info.
    2. Help page says this switch is used with l command, but it is also used with h.

• Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2014-02-05

-slt switch is temporary solution to hide time stat.

<< < 1 .. 3 4 5 6 7 > >> (Page 5 of 7)

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks