Encryption + update

2004-07-08
2012-12-08
  • Nobody/Anonymous

Hi.   I installed 7zip to allow me to keep a list of passwords (in a passwords.txt file) easily accessible for my wife, and yet encrypted.

I had a passwords.txt file in an encrypted passwords.7z archive, and it properly required a password when attempting to open it.

However, when I opened the passwords.txt file contained in it, modified it, and said 'yes' to updating the archive, the encryption was gone!  7-zip no longer asks for a password.

Is this intended, or a bug?

Thanks,
    -- Scott

• Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2004-07-08

It's not implemented still.

• Nobody/Anonymous

I wanted to change from winRAR to an open source alternative and 7-zip seemed to be exactly what I needed but this thing with password protection dissapearing after an file update makes it utterly useless for me. It's back to winRAR for me.

• Nobody/Anonymous

The POWER of WinRAR!!!

Time and time again WinRAR proves to be the finest archiver available today.

• Nobody/Anonymous

Why do you use 7-zip for encrypting a password file?  This progam isn't really suited for the job.  A much better program for storing passwords is Keepass Password Keeper, which is also a sourceforge project.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks