7-Zip 9.20 + Folder Modification Date Preservation During Extract

Never Best
2013-08-16
2013-08-22
  • Never Best

Never Best - 2013-08-16

When extracting .iso files with 7z (9.20) the modification date on folders is not retained. Modification date on files are fine.

To reproduce grab any .iso file with a folder in it. Right Click > Extract. Folder modification date will show the current date.

Let me know if there is any problems/questions.

• Never Best

Never Best - 2013-08-16

Just tested with 9.30 alpha, has the same bug.

• Never Best

Never Best - 2013-08-16

Also 7zip is not handling some kind of .iso split logic correctly it seems (testing on 9.30). For example it shows the following in the FM:

...\folder\file.ext 1GB
    ...\folder\file.ext 1GB
    ...\folder\file.ext 1GB
    ...\folder\file.ext 500kB

Yet when I view the .iso file with for example IsoBuster I see:
    ...\folder\file.ext 3.05GB

Note: When I try to extract it with 7z it seems to extract the full 3.05GB but the end result is just a 500kB file.

• Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2013-08-16

1) Please check "midification time problem" again with 7-Zip 9.30. Also create some ZIP archive to test that feature.

2) Maybe there is some split feature in ISO. And 7-Zip doesn't support it.
    Can you create some example of such ISO?
    You can write zeros in file.ext and then compress ISO file.

• Never Best

Never Best - 2013-08-17

1) Folder modification date bug still occurs on 9.30. I made the attachment for 2) have a folder in it so you can test yourself. I didn't test/understand the ZIP request though?

2) I looked at this a little more to see if I can re-produce with custom built .iso's, and I was able to using ImgBurn and the "Use ISO9660:1999 standard" button. Looking at the ImgBurn build page I'd say the "Allow Files Exceeding Size Limit: Multiple Extents" option is what 7zip is not implementing.

BRROM-Ex.7z contains an example ISO for 2). For the custom built/ImgBurn ones I could only get the splitting to occur at 4GB, but, I for sure have some retail ISOs which splitting occurs at 1GB (99% sure same problem though). In 7zip your going to see 3 files (4GB,4GB,4kB) and in IsoBuster I see 1 8GB file.

• Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2013-08-17

Create folder and file in folder.
    Create ZIP archive and extract that archive with 7-Zip 9.30 and then check modification time of extracted folder.
    And what way do you extract archives?

• Never Best

Never Best - 2013-08-19

I've never tested ZIP, I'm testing ISO. ISO 100% has the problem described.

To extract iso with 7zip, I right click the .iso and then choose the "7-Zip > Extract Here" or "7-Zip > Extract to Folder...".

Let me know if you have any more questions.

• Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2013-08-20

1) So check it with ZIP also.
    2) Check that you have only 9.30 isntalled. And there is no older versions on your system. Run 7-Zip File Manager. Check that it's 9.30 version number in Help / About. Then select archive (ISO or ZIP) and press "Extract" button.

• Never Best

Never Best - 2013-08-20

1) Folders in ZIP files do not seem to have this problem, iso only so far. Did you want me to test all 7ZIP supported formats? The only thing I've been testing right now is ISO support.

Keep in mind I'm still not 100% sure what you want with the ZIP test? You want "folder in zip / folder mod dat preserved" test done correct, or did you actually want me to do something with ISO in a zip? I just fail to see how we jumped from ISO to ZIP?

2) My 7zip Version on the about page says "7-Zip 9.30 alpha (64-bit) 2012-10-25". Are you having problems reproducing the problem with the supplied iso? If you view the ISO in 7zip you should see the folder has a modification date of 16th, but after you extract your going to see it has todays modification date.

Let me know if there are any other questions.

• Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2013-08-21

I can't reproduce the problem.
    Note that you must extract from 7-zip file manager with "extract" button.

If you extract from explorer, via context menu, then explorer can call some another copy of 7-Zip, if you have several versions of 7-Zip on your computer.

Also create another small ISO archive for test and test again with 7-zip file manager 9.30.

• Never Best

Never Best - 2013-08-22

My mistake. 9.20 has the problem, 9.30 its fixed. Reasion I thought it wasn't fixed was because my iso's are all so large, so I think I navigated into the folder while it was extracting and see all the folders have the wrong date. But 9.30 fixes all the dates at the end while 9.20 does not.

So it's just the iso splitting issue with 9.30.

• Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2013-08-22

I'll add support for 4GiB+ files in ISO in next version of 7-Zip.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks