Menu

What requires release of the code using the 7zip DLL via its COM interface?

James
2013-03-26
2013-03-27
  • James

James - 2013-03-26

I am sure licensing posts must be pretty tiring at this point in time but I admit that the LGPL has always confused. I am never sure where you draw the line as to what has to be exposed through it in order to utilize the code. So after putting in a couple of hours over a couple of days figuring it out and then wrestling with sourceforge to let me log in and view the discussions with out an internal service area, here I am.

What I am looking to do is based on the suggestion in the FAQ to utilize the DLL through its unique COM interface. Further to that point I have been using parts of the code from the 7zip lib (CPP/7zip/UI/Client7z) and from the 7zip application itself (CPP/7zip/UI/Console) to do this. From the first project I have built together the initialization of the linking to the DLL. From the second project I have been using the Compress() call that will handle splitting the archive across multiple files of a specific size.

I believe, and may be mistaken, that both of these code bases are provided under the LGPL. Where I always get confused is where the line is drawn as to where my calls need to be exposed under the LGPL. If I am just using a slimmed down version of the source found in these two offerings do I just put the information for where those libraries may be obtained?

That seems like the case to me but as mentioned, the LGPL has always confused me as to where you can stop saying "well this code makes the call to the code under the LGPL and so must be exposed".

Insight into this would be greatly appreciated including if there are other licensing mechanics available aside from the LZMA public domain source as I am already aware of that library as well.

Thanks,

James

• Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2013-03-27

You can get interfaces and some another code from LZMA SDK that is public domain. So you don't need to think about LGPL details in these cases.