Menu

Add the ability to create blank files to 7zip

2022-11-25
2024-07-24
  • Will Pittenger

Will Pittenger - 2022-11-25

In the 7zip GUI, it's hard to start with a blank compressed file. I suggest adding something under File/New for each type of supported compressed file.

• AmigoJack

AmigoJack - 2022-11-27

Why would one need empty archives? Do you have 1-2 examples? Also: is it really "hard" or actually "impossible"?

• Mesmeric

Mesmeric - 2022-12-19

I know at times a blank archive would be convenient for me, e.g. under the 7-zip context menu Add to archive... it could have a tick box not to add any files. I say convenient because you can get by without it, and you can also have stored somewhere a blank archive you've pre-created, copy it and drag items in, or archive some random item and remove it. d

• AmigoJack

AmigoJack - 2024-07-24

That would be rather a convenient GUI feature: a target where you drop files without making up your mind how to pack it. But then again you could just start with your first file/selection (add to {new} archive) and then just drop additional files/folders to the now already existing archive opened in 7-Zip. You're even able to "edit" 7z files when it comes to creating new folders at any place (see the window menu).