Menu

Unable to extract large files: "Not enough space on disk" error despite 1.4TB available & specified temp folder ignored

gilescorey
2015-01-12
2021-11-06
  • gilescorey

gilescorey - 2015-01-12

I’ve run into this problem several times recently and am not sure what to do about it. First off, I’m running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit and the latest version of 7-Zip (9.20).

My C drive is a 250GB SSD that I use for programs/caches etc. and which is constantly running out of space; I use my internal and external HDs for files and all other storage. However, I recently cleared up as much as I could from my C drive (going from ~1GB available to ~31GB available). A week or so later I attempted to extract a very large RAR file (around 42GB) using 7-zip. The RAR file itself was on an external HD with plenty of space available (1.4TB free) and I extracted it to the same directory on this HD but after extracting partway I was met with a “Not enough space on disk” error and tried to X out and the entire computer ended up freezing, forcing me to perform a manual shut down.

After booting up again I noticed that the space on my C drive had been reduced from 31GB free to only a few MBs free and figured 7-zip had used the temp directory on the C drive to extract the RAR. Some googling confirmed this, as others had similar issues and said the solution was to simply delete the files from the temp folder in the C drive and change the temp directory settings in 7-zip. I tried both and have had problems with both.

First, the space issue. I deleted everything from the temp directory on the C drive and still had no space available. I had to free up as much space as I could by moving files off of the C drive and in the end was left with only 2GB free on the C drive as I’d already moved or deleted just about everything I could in order to get the 31GB free earlier, but 2GB free was still better than a few megabytes free. I still don’t know where the other 31GB of used space from the extraction is located on the C drive or how to get rid of it. I did a search for part of the RAR name and it came up with nothing anywhere in the C drive.

Second, the extraction issue. I followed online instructions about how to change the temp extraction folder – I opened 7-zip, went to Tools – Options, selected the Folders tab and under “Working folder” I changed it to “Specified” and then browsed to the external HD with the 1.4TB of space available and selected the same directory the RAR was in, clicked Apply, and tried extracting again, this time with a smaller RAR. The smaller RAR was 3GB in size and also in this same directory on the external HD with plenty of free space available. Despite having changed the temp folder settings in 7-Zip, I still received the “Not enough space on disk” message and before everything froze and crashed completely I opened up the My Computer folder to see that the C drive had gone down from 2GB free to 92KB free. Once again, a manual shut-down was necessary. (Thankfully this time after turning the computer on again the C drive was not still at 92KB of free space and had gone back to 2GB free.)
    I borrowed a relative’s Macbook, plugged the external HD into it, downloaded a free extraction program for Mac OS X and extracted both the 42GB RAR and the 3GB RAR to the external HD without issue. I then plugged the external HD back into my desktop PC again and was able to view and access both extracted files on the external HD just fine.

So I had to transfer the RARs and extracted files back and forth on the external HD and use a different computer and different extraction software just to be able to view the extracted files on my regular Windows 7 desktop PC, and 31GB of space is still missing from my C drive, presumably to temp files from the first failed extraction of the 42GB rar. I haven’t had any issues with 7-Zip prior to this; could someone help?

Namely;

• A.) How can I find the ~31GB of temp files currently taking up space on my C drive?

• B.) Even with 2GB free on my C drive, how can I extract a large RAR (let’s say 3GB) using 7-Zip to an external HD with plenty of free space without it always resorting to using my C drive for the temp files in the extraction process, resulting in the “Not enough disk space” error and subsequent crashing?

Thanks in advance for any help!

• john lee

john lee - 2015-01-12

why not try 9.38 beta in case something changed

• Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2015-01-12

1) Just don't use Drag and drop to explorer.
    Drag and drop to explorer has some limitations. So 7-Zip has to use temp folder. Woth any other extraction method it doesn't use temp folders.

7-Zip's "Folders" options don't change temp folder for these operations.

2) Try to find exact files in some temp folder.
    There such thing:
    Install 7-Zip 9.38 beta
    Run 7-Zip File Manager with Admibistrator rights.
    Open the most top folder.
    Open

\\.

item.
    Try to open "PhysicalDrive0" item and and then
    open 0.ntfs (or 1.ntfs or 2.ntfs).
    Set View / "Flat View" mode.
    It will show all files in your NTFS system drive.
    try to sort with "Created" or "Size" columns and look some new (or big) files. Look "Path Prefix" column for these files.

Last edit: Igor Pavlov 2015-01-12
  • TheRealFreak

TheRealFreak - 2015-05-12

I've verified this problem with similar facts on a different system with much smaller files too:

When I try to extract 7z/zip files containing installers (exe) sized about 300M (the problem is almost in this range but most smaller+larger files still work properly!) by 7-Zip context menu or by drag & drop with a active anti-virus scanner, the remaining time in 7-Zip is continuously raising and all other hard disk access is suspended (progress bar freezes), which makes the system freeze when trying to access anything on a hard drive.

Termination of 7-Zip by a before opened task manager doesn't help either: any access to the hard drives is suspended.

I have this problem with KEIL-ARM "MDK-ARM v4" ("v4" is important) in versions 4.13 and 4.20 of the "MDK" (I have access by my license only up to 4.50 yet). Please contact KEIL support to get access to these moderate sized files (which I may upload to a ftp of your choice too), the stuff is usually very friendly there:
    https://www.keil.com/download/product/

Also the file "AgilentBenchLinkWaveformBuilder_33503A_V3.exe" (about 500 MB) by Agilent / Keysight shows the same problem, although this is a zip file here which extracts fine using e.g. winzip 9.0 SR-1 thru the context menu:
    http://www.datatec.de/cgi-bin/shop/lshop.cgi?action=download&artnum=33503a&type=demo

When the link may change just search for "Keysight | 33503A | BenchLink Waveform Builder PRO Software" at e.g. the shop of www.datatec.de hopefully also any new version of the file will show the problem too. I may upload the file "...V3.exe" which causes the error to any ftp server of your choice too.

When I disable my anti-virus scanner (AVG 2015) 7-Zip extracts fine and completely without any problems using the context menu or drag & drop. Also when I open the archive in 7-Zip file manager and I press the button extract to start the extraction, 7-Zip runs also fine. It's obvious that this is a problem with 7-Zip's context menu (and drag & drop) as long there is a active anti-virus scanner.

I tried 7-Zip 9.20 and 9.38 on a special windows xp 32-bit system (2.5G memory model using the boot options "/3GB /Userva=2560"). So this is not only a windows 7 64-bit issue. The only difference is that I don't have any orphaned temp files after the system freeze and I get no error dialog window.

Thanks in advance for your help
    TheRealFreak

• Shell

Shell - 2015-05-12

gilescorey, TheRealFreak, are you familiar with Process Monitor? Since you can reproduce the problem, a log of 7-Zip's and - to compare with - WinZIP's activity during extraction will help greatly in locating it. File system activity will do - I bet AVG dislikes some file operation that 7-Zip performs.

Update. I have extracted BenchLink 3.20 with 7-Zip 15.00 and with WinRAR 5.21 using context menu "Extract to...". Process Monitor has shown only minor differences: WinRAR uses smaller read/write blocks and (as I had posted elsewhere in this forum) sets file size before actual extraction. However, I have neither AVG antivirus, nor SSD.

Last edit: Shell 2015-05-12
  • TheRealFreak

TheRealFreak - 2015-05-18

Thanks for working on this topic!

How may we continue to get a chance of the problem may be fixed one day?

Have you packed the benchlink exe to .zip and .7z (LZMA2, Ultra, 3 of 4 cores) and extracted both all the ways supported by 7-Zip (shell, drag&drop and file manager extract button)?

When I pack "BenchLink_Waveform_Builder-33503A_V3.20.00.exe" to a .zip and I try to extract it (when AVG is active) again, only 7-Zip file manager button extract works. Shell extension and drag&drop freeze the system about 48...64MB written to disk (this is what I can see after the hard reset). The old Winzip 9.0 SR-1 extracts by all suported ways without problems.

Process Monitor is of course installed on my system, also the user dump service.
    The problem is my system freezes when this "race condition" like issue occurs.

Please continue testing one day with a active AVG antivirus (free version is enough to freeze here). This is the only way I see to find out what AVG dislikes about some of your file operations in the detail you may need.

7-Zip 15.00?? I've tried the available 7-Zip 9.20 and 9.38 and a old Winzip 9.0 SR-1. And I've only usual hard disks too.

Thanks in advance for your help.

• Shell

Shell - 2015-05-19

Please, specify your AVG version. However, I will hardly have time to perform experiments with it in May.

7-Zip 15.xx is a new branch, it is currently in "alpha" stage. It is available on this forum. You may try it in addition to 9.38 (however, please remember to test your archives if you use an alpha version for compressing).

• TheRealFreak

TheRealFreak - 2015-05-19

Thanks for your immediate reply and take your time, good results need usually good time.

My AVG is the latest available and updated version "avg antivirus free edition 2015". I had the same issue with the system freeze also with the previous "2014" version too (at least when the background scanner is activated).

When you should have no system freeze issues please let me know and I'll send you all my screenshots of the configuration of my AVG too, although is often only to extend the scanner to "scan all files" but don't do any high system load actions like rootkit scans after each update etc. I've also exported almost any change to my windows to *.reg files for easier tracking.

Hm, the alpha version... that's somewhat too hot for me, I think yet.
    Maybe I may raise my courage later ;-)

Thanks in advance for your help.

P.S.: Maybe this is helpful for you to know (but AVG doesn't care again)
    I noticed that NTREGOPT (http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/) cause also a very similar system freeze when run with the active AVG antivirus background scanner. When the antivirus scanner is inactive, NTREGOPT succeeds.

Last edit: TheRealFreak 2015-05-28
  • Govindan Rangahari

HI,
    We are trying to zip one of the folder in D: but getting in the below error.
    Please anyone help to fix this issue.

"There is not enough space on the disk".

• Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2021-10-27

What free space do you have?
      What exact command do you call, what settings, and how do you call it?

• mdadm

mdadm - 2021-11-06

Is 7z command line version also use temp folder? Is option -w needed when large archive is extracted and we don't want to use c:\temp directory?

• Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2021-11-06

-w is for archive creation/updating only (for compressing).