Menu

7-Zip 20.00 alpha

2020-02-07
2020-08-04
<< < 1 2 3 4 5 > >> (Page 4 of 5)
  • amckern

amckern - 2020-04-21

I have never run a benchmark on 7-zip before, these two benchmarks (b & b1) are run on a Core-i5 9400T inside a ThinkCentre M720q

I'll post the performance on my Core i9 9900k when i get home.

Last edit: amckern 2020-04-21
  • joopbraak

joopbraak - 2020-04-28

Bug:

When I open (doubleclick) a file (for instance txt) inside an achive (I only tested 7z and zip) the path to the archive disappears from the title bar.

Thanks for the best archive manager, better than paided alternatives!

• Gronaz

Gronaz - 2020-04-29

Hi Igor, thanks for that great piece.
    Found in W10/64Home 1903 and 7-Zip/64 both 20.00(.exe) & 1900(.msi), I can't get the CRC SHA explorer context menu item. I know I want to set this from Options and ran as admin. Although I can use the feature from within 7zfm. But even as current user setting/unsetting/resetting the option won't show the item.
    Any clue please ?

Last edit: Gronaz 2020-04-29
    • Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2020-05-01

if you have 7-Zip menu in Explorer, open some archive from that menu and check version of 7-Zip and Options.
      Also check that another programs in Explorer menu do not affect 7-Zip. You can try to disable another programs.

• Gronaz

Gronaz - 2020-05-03

Thank for tips Igor. What kind of program could prevent the CRC-SHA menu to show when 7z is OK ?
    BTW why we have 2 options for integration to context menu? What is the difference between them (my Win10-1903 is 64bit as you can deduce from 7z version)

Last edit: Gronaz 2020-05-03
    • Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2020-05-04

1) do you have any third-party programs in context menu?
      If so, try to deinstall or disable them.

2) Another integration option is for 32-bit explorer.

• Gronaz

Gronaz - 2020-05-04

I only have VLC & Windows Defender. But few days ago I applied a tweak to restore Shift+RightClick=>"Open command prompt here" which needed to take ownership of 2 registry keys. Whatever I had after that a short need for a soft that adds an item in Explorer's contex menu and the item was fine added.
        Ok don't worry, I'll live without (it is not my computer).

• Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2020-05-04

So did you see CRC in Explorer in past?

Please enable the option Tools/Optiions/Settnings/Show system menu.
          Then in 7-Zip menu "File" you will see "System >" item,
          same as in explorer. Does it have CRC?

Also try to change "cascaded context menu" option and check explorer then.

• Gronaz

Gronaz - 2020-05-04

When enabled, option Show System Menu won't trigger a "System" item in the 7z File menu. Although, whether the option is ticked or not, CRC item is present and working both in 7zFM File menu and on right-click on a file/folder from within 7zFM.
            About cascade, CRC as never, AFAIR, been cascaded by this option: it always was a top level Explorer.exe context menu, as long as it was selected in Tools.../Options/7-Zip/Context menu items.
            Although, I tried with uncascade, failed to display CRC.

Last edit: Gronaz 2020-05-04
            • Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2020-05-04

In 7-Zip: select some file and call "File" menu or right click.
              Then you will see "System" submenu. It must be same menu as in Explorer.

• Gronaz

Gronaz - 2020-05-04

Sorry for late reply Igor, and thanks for support. I don't know what happend before when I looked, let's say my eyes were not in front of holes. Now from within 7zFM the system menu is here, and we can see CRC SHA (juste below 7z) that won't show in explorer.
                Maybe it's an issue with this PC because hte same behaviour happens with 7z v19 which is highly used, so somebody would have yet asked help for this issue.
                BTW, when I edited registry keys for cmd and background I had to change values called HideBasedOnVelocityId to ShowBasedOnVelocityId. Maybe we have something related to performances here, some kind of default dynamic display for CRC SHA menu item.
                [Quote Igor]"So did you see CRC in Explorer in past?"
                Not in this PC, fresh 7z install

Last edit: Gronaz 2020-05-04
                • Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2020-05-05

Try to uninstall all third-party programs from context menu.
                  Keep only original programs of Windows.

• Gronaz

Gronaz - 2020-05-07

Hi Igor, after reboot the CRC SHA menu item is there :-)
                    Many thanks for 7z, many thanks to 7z

• Evan

Evan - 2020-05-04

I am getting confused on which version to get on my computer. I have a Windows ProBook and it has the update from 5-2-20 so I know it is the 20 alpha but I don't know to get 32-bit or 64-bit.

• John Secret

John Secret - 2020-05-06

Hi, when is 20.00 going to be released?

• Gronaz

Gronaz - 2020-05-06

it is

• John Secret

John Secret - 2020-05-07

It is not out of alpha.

• Gronaz

Gronaz - 2020-05-06

Last edit: Gronaz 2020-05-06
  • Pesala

Pesala - 2020-05-24

A Bug
    I know this is a trivial bug, but it is also trivial to fix.
    On trying to extract an invalid archive I get a dialog saying:
    Can not open file "..." as archive

It should be:

Cannot open file "..." as archive.

A Feature Request:
    Can you add archive splitting? I cannot copy archives to a USB stick because of limitations of the system. I know there are free utilties out there like (https://www.gdgsoft.com/gsplit) to split archives, but building this feature into 7-Zip would be better.
    It is also a big advantage when transferring large files to the cloud. If the connection drops during transfer you don't need to transfer the whole archive again, just the failed chunk and any others following.

Last edit: Pesala 2020-05-25
    • Crisb23

Crisb23 - 2020-05-25

7zip has archive splitting.

• Crisb23

Crisb23 - 2020-05-25

Last edit: Crisb23 2020-05-25
      • Pesala

Pesala - 2020-05-25

Many thanks for that. It works well for my use case. Not needing a chunk joining exe is an added bonus.

I used the Store option to create an archive from my 8 Gbyte file. It took three minutes on my AMD A10-6800K, 8 Gb single core old hardware.

• Sarrum

Sarrum - 2020-06-01

Ryzen 3 1200 (19.00, 19.02, 20.00):

• Nemes Roke

Nemes Roke - 2020-06-08

Hello Igor, any chance of supporting Win10 NTFS compression? The one that uses
    compact /c /exe:lzx file.dat
    Apart from LZX; XPRESS4K, XPRESS8K and XPRESS16K exist. 7-Zip fails to extract from NTFS images since it tries to write the :WofCompressedData alternate stream directly. Also the compressed size is shown incorrectly.

<< < 1 2 3 4 5 > >> (Page 4 of 5)