[Feature Request] Add an install target for *nix systems

icpz
2021-11-30
2021-12-03
  • icpz

icpz - 2021-11-30

Hi 7-zip community:

Thanks for the amazing software!

I'm porting 7-zip 21.06 to homebrew (https://brew.sh) recently since 21.06 is the first stable release that supports building on linux/macOS. It would be nice to have something like make install mechanism, so that the package manager don't have to cherry pick the building product (say, b/g/7zz) by hardcode the path in build script (refer to here).

Looking forward to your feedback, Thanks!

Sincerely,
    icpz

Last edit: icpz 2021-11-30
  • Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2021-11-30

I'm not an expert of linux/posix systems and makefiles.
    So I just created simplest makefile for compiling according my knowledges of this gnu things.
    There are many compilers, systems and CPU architectures. So it doesn't look simple for me to support all these differences with best way.
    Some scripting probably can solve all these things, but I'm not good for such scripts. So I tried to get minimal supporting for main systems and compilers, and it still requires big number of sh files and makefiles now to compile several executables for linux. I don't like that complexity.

• icpz

icpz - 2021-11-30

Hi Igor,

Thanks for the quick reply! I certainly understand your difficulty. Hope guys in the community who are good at GNU things could make a patch for this :-)

We appreciate your time!

Sincerely,
    icpz

• Marshall

Marshall - 2021-12-03

"gnu things"... I like you Pavlov :-)

Well, there's a readme.txt file explaining how to compile on Unix systems.