Menu

QNAS Device Hacked - Ransomware

2021-06-07
2021-06-12
  • Jim Beckman

Jim Beckman - 2021-06-07

Hi folks! A little desperate here and thought I would reach out to this community for any help or ideas. I have a QNAP NAS device, which it seems has been a target for Ransomware through a known vulnerability. My device has been compromised and all of my files (minus movies) have been encrypted using 7 Zip and the hackers are requesting 2 bitcoins for the password. I have a lot of photos and files archived here that are valuable to me but not that valuable. Does anyone have any ideas on how I could spoof the password or unlock some other way? Appreciate any and all ideas.

• Bill Jordan

Bill Jordan - 2021-06-11

I am dealing with ransomware for a client on their NAS. I discovered that any zip files could be opened by simply removing the extraneous extension naming. e.g. renamed "File.zip FJDKFS.waiting" to "File.zip" and it opened. I think they counted on me assuming that because docs and other files were encrypted, that zip files would be also.

There are many kinds of ransomware, so this likely will not work for all. I was honestly surprised it worked for me. And unfortunately, it did not work for an important zipped file which was corrupt (and for which I'm seeking assistance in another post).

• mdadm

mdadm - 2021-06-12

Some of antivirus producers and some individuals which are analyzing ransomware and it's weaknesses sometimes produce tools to extract that encrypted content. Search that on internet. But you have to find out what ransomware you were infected. Look for and match any signs of infection on device, how encrypted files are named, compare hashes of malware remnants to hashes in ransomware analysis, etc.