With version 0.5, Semantic MediaWiki extension for MediaWiki  reaches beta status. But improved stability and cleaner code does not mean that there are no new features. Core changes include:
- Customised datatypes for unit conversion and customised display of units for each attribute. This also enables full localisation of all units of measurement.
- Support for importing vocabularies from external ontologies. For instance, elements of the wiki can now be mapped to the FOAF ontology during export.
- Significantly improved inline query performance and functionality (compared to 0.4). Unit support for inline queries. Desired output unit can be adjusted through query.
- New attribute datatypes for URLs and URIs, secured by a blacklist to prevent technically problematic URIs.
- New attribute datatype for temperature, since this cannot be defined by a linear custom unit conversion.
- Improved Special:Relations and Special:Attributes, including a quicklink to searching occurrences of some annotation.
SMW 0.5 now will run only the current MediaWiki 1.7 and PHP5. The new version also comes with an updated online documenation  that describes the functionality in detail. Development and usage is discussed on our mailinglists  and also in the Semantic Wiki Interest Group .