To the next level

BASE-user
2008-02-23
2013-06-03
  • Robert Rosengren

I don't know where I should post this, but here seems as good as any.
    I think that base should be taken to the next level in it's UI-design.
    The current functionality is great, but a little bit "blinding" (especially when looking at many alert/alergroups etc you don't get a good overview).
    The design should be taken out of the 90's and the gui-code cleaned up.
    Instead of reinventing the wheel the project maintainers could look at a templating system (such as (www.)smarty(.net)) to ease the work.
    Base is a great tool that could be even greater (and easier), so I hope someone will start looking at it.
    Cheers.

• Kevin Johnson

Kevin Johnson - 2008-02-24

The templating idea has been tossed around quite a bit for BASE and we hope to implement it.  Are you volunteering to help, as we can always use it!

Kevin

• Randal Rioux

Randal Rioux - 2008-02-25

Actually, this is one of the things I'm anxious to get started on. Once I get some of the code stuff done that I've committed to I'll take a look at design options. This would be a major task :-)

Randy

• Robert Rosengren

I would volunteer to help if I knew php and templating systems better (and had some UI-design studies ;) )
      Looked at "smarty" quickly and it seems "pretty simple", but what is needed is to separate "core logic" with "presentation logic"
      I looked at the base-code and currently it seems very nested (logic and presentation).
      First step I think is to make a "mockup" (pure html) of how base should look.
      Then transform the html into a template.
      Simplest is probably to take the current look and try transforming it.
      Can look at this closer when I get the time, but not promising anything :)

Templates from different templating systems ought to look similar, so when decided it should just be a matter of chosing I guess.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks