We have a weird situation where SEB works with one of our test servers, but not with another. Our two test servers are https://icmatest.vledev2.open.ac.uk/exams and https://learn6acct.open.ac.uk/. (You won't be able to access either of those, they are behind the OU firewall.) I will refer to these as icmatest and learn6.
When we build an installer for SEB pointing at icmatest, everything works.
When we build an installer for SEB pointing at learn6, then when you install it on a new computer and try to run it, you see this:
There is no real difference between the way the two servers are set up. The differences are:
What is more weird is that, after it has failed, you can make it work as follows:
Also, if you ahve previously installed SEB on a particular computer, installing the learn6 version just works.
So, my questions are:
A. Has anyone else seen a problem like this?
B. When you do get a problem like this, are there any techniques to debug the problem? It is quite hard to debug a secure application ;-)
I'm out of country this week and have very limited net access,
so it is indeed difficult to debug. Cannot remember having heard of this
particular problem but seems to that SEB (xulrunner) got confused
by this special switching/redirection when trying to connect to the
second server (exam URL). Maybe it worked later cos xulrunner
browser component stored access data in LocalAppData of current user.
Just my first assumption.
Von: Tim Hunt [firstname.lastname@example.org]
Gesendet: Freitag, 21. Juni 2013 11:43
Betreff: [seb:discussion] Weird problem installing SEB 1.9.1
Weird problem installing SEB 1.9.1https://sourceforge.net/p/seb/discussion/844844/thread/16c9eec9/?limit=50#e6d3
Sent from sourceforge.net because you indicated interest in https://sourceforge.net/p/seb/discussion/844844/
To unsubscribe from further messages, please visit https://sourceforge.net/auth/subscriptions/
My colleage Phil Butcher worked this out.
We made a start page that was just a plain HTML page with a link to the learn6 URL, and made a version of SEB that started there. When you clicked on that link in SEB installed onto a clean machine, we got the error
"Learn6acct uses an invalid security certificate. The certificate is not trusted because no issuer chain was provided. Error code:sec_error_unknown_issuer."
Mozilla have a nice page explaining this: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Incomplete_Certificate_Chain. The section "But Sometimes It Works" explains why the problem eventually goes away.
So, we need to fix our sever config. Would be nice if, when this problem occurs, the failure could be made less mysterious to SEB users.
Damn, we also had this problem once! I think there should be a discussion regarding this in the forum. Wait, we even have this mentioned in our documentation: http://www.safeexambrowser.org/windows/win_usermanual_en.html#Certificates
The question regarding debugging is mentioned in the documentation of the (yet unofficial or not linked from safeexambrowser.org) SEB XULRunner browser component at:
(we should somehow incorporate this documentation into safeexambrowser.org, latest when it gets more final regarding SEB 2.0, some functions still have to be implemented in the SEB XULRunner browser component)
If something which has to do with the web browser of SEB Windows isn't clear enough, then searching mozilla.org or https://developer.mozilla.org is always a good idea (even though it might still not be easy to figure out).
Log in to post a comment.
Sign up for the SourceForge newsletter:
You seem to have CSS turned off.
Please don't fill out this field.