Unable to open preferences on Mac

SEB 2.0
JohnZ
2013-10-05
2013-10-07
  • JohnZ

JohnZ - 2013-10-05

I am unable to open the preferences file using Fn + F3 + F6 on my Mac running 10.8.4 after an initial configuration in which I disabled the menu bar and set the URL. Not sure how to resolve this. Also, the .plist file is not showing up anywhere on the Mac. How can I get to the preferences window to make additional changes?

• Daniel Schneider

Sounds like you're using SEB 2.0pre2. You can also use cmd+, (command plus "," key) to open preferences. I don't know why fn+F3+F6 isn't working, I never had experienced such a case before. The .plist file is located in your home folder's Library/Preferences folder, which you can open in Finder by using the menu command Go -> Go to Folder and entering ~/Library/Preferences (the ~ symbol can be entered with the alt+n key). Delete the org.safeexambrowser.Safe-Exam-Browser.plist file and you will have the initial default settings back.

Is fn+F3+F6 working with the initial settings (after you deleted the .plist file)?

• JohnZ

JohnZ - 2013-10-05

Thanks, since Command , worked, I left the plist in place

• JohnZ

JohnZ - 2013-10-05

If this helps, I originally got into the preferences because the menu bar was showing. fn+F3+F6 did not work. When I hit those three keys, the dock would briefly appear and then go away.

One last question, some of our students find it helpful to print out their exam, especially essays for proofreading, prior to turning it in. Is this currently possible or will it be in a future release?

• Daniel Schneider

Interesting that the dock briefly appeared. What kind of Mac were you testing it and did you use a standard Apple keyboard or an external one from a third party vendor?

I could imagine that Apple changed the function of fn+F3 or fn+F6 on some of the very new Mac's, I didn't test SEB myself on a retina MacBookPro or the new MacBook Air yet. Also third party keyboards could behave differently than original Apple keyboards.

The feature to allow printing in SEB I want to evaluate, but it's not having a high priority right now. I think to make it secure the new third party application handling of SEB 2.0 will be necessary. This I plan to implement in SEB 2.0pre4, before end of this year.

• JohnZ

JohnZ - 2013-10-06

Hi,

I am using a MacBook Air purchased in July running 10.8.4. I am using the builtin keyboard. I just tried it again so that I can be as specific as possible. When I press Fn + F3, nothing happens. When I press Fn + F3 + F6, the dock briefly appears. When I press Fn + F6, the dock appears. Hope this helps.

John

• Daniel Schneider

Hi John

What happens when you press fn + F6 while not running SEB? If you have some application installed/running (possibly as a background service) which is using fn + F6 for itself, then that could maybe cause SEB not to get the key combination passed by the system. I read that Parallel Desktop is using fn + F6 for example.

• JohnZ

JohnZ - 2013-10-07

Good call, with Parallels off, it worked, thanks

• Daniel Schneider

Good, now I know it's not a problem with SEB itself. I will nevertheless mention cmd + , better in the documentation in future, as it is the standard key combination for invoking preferences there shouldn't be a risk that that gets blocked by some services or applications. Thank you too for helping to solve the case :-)

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks