Opening seb files in the browser on Windows 7

SEB 2.0
2014-02-17
2014-02-21
  • Jarle Presttun

Jarle Presttun - 2014-02-17

Have just set up two clean installed Windows 7 machines at work and I'm testing the seb files by double clicking on the seb files. This opens the browser and I see the Exam url page is being loaded, but after a second or so it just changes its mind and opens with the default settings instead.
    The workaround I have found was dropping the seb files over the Safe Exam Browser app icon on the desktop. This way the settings were loaded.
    This workaround is not working with encrypted SEB files with password as the default SEB is loaded after the prompt.

At home with my Windows 8.1 computer I did not have this problem.

• Jarle Presttun

Seb file that only works when dropping over the seb application. Just the default settings with a changed exam url

• Jarle Presttun

SebClient log cleared before opening the seb file above

• Daniel Schneider

Hmm, I just tried to install SEB on a Windows 7 machine and double clicking on your default.seb worked flawlessly.

The interesting line in your log is:

Could not find file 'C:\Users\iatest\Desktop\seb

I don't know why, but it seems like your Win 7 machines don't recognize the file name of your default.seb file properly. Did you try to rename it? Does it work if opened from another directory?

But on the other side you're saying SEB first starts opening them, but then loads the standard page (as defined in the standard settings).

It should be exactly the other way round: First the standard URL should be opened, then the one from the double clicked/opened .seb file. That's how it happens on Windows 8. Looks like on Windows 7 the standard URL isn't opened at all (which is even better), but in my case the URL from the double clicked .seb file is opened.

Another thing: Try opening the page: http://safeexambrowser.org/exams/ from IE, Firefox or another web browser. Click on the Link for the test exam "Moodle SEB Browser Exam Key Test Exam". This link is seb://www.safeexambrowser.org/exams/Moodle_ExamKeyTest.seb . The custom protocol seb:// opens SEB, SEB will load the .seb file at the address http://www.safeexambrowser.org/exams/Moodle_ExamKeyTest.seb or https://www.safeexambrowser.org/exams/Moodle_ExamKeyTest.seb
    and reconfigure accordingly. Test if this is working on your Windows 7 machines.

I found another problem with my more or less clean Windows 7 machine: There was only the .NET framework 4 Client Profile installed, SEB 2.0 needs .NET 4 (full). We will include this into the installer in the next build.

• Jarle Presttun

The seb protocol worked fine. Checked out another windows 7 computer here where SEB was configured properly when double clicking the .seb file, so it is definitely a set up problem on the to new test computers. I'm looking more into it

• Jarle Presttun

Jarle Presttun - 2014-02-18

Haven't been able to figure out the problem, but a colleague here has a Samsung Ultrabook and gets the same problem on Windows 8. Drag/drop the seb file over the SEB app shortcut on the desktop works, but double clicking on the seb file loads SEB but in the default configured mode.
    Common for the computers that fail (two Asus UX31 and one Samsung 900x) is that they are Ultrabooks and have SSD disks. Can it be that they load stuff "too fast" and something gets loaded in the wrong order? A slightly newer Asus UX31 did not have this problem, so that contradict the SSD theory

So a sum up at the office:
    - 3 computers (2x Win7 and 1x Win8) needs drag and drop of the seb file to the shortcut to load the exam configuration
    - 3 computers load the exam configuration fine when double clicking
    - 1 computer had .NET framework 4 Client Profile, so it didn't load (like you wrote above)

• Daniel Schneider

You're completely right, there is a problem that "stuff" is loaded too fast on some systems and things gets loaded in the wrong order. There is a race condition when opening new settings from a double clicked .seb file and loading the default settings and displaying the default website.

I will try to solve this asap and release it as 2.0RC2. I also replaced the first version installer with a new build just before. I hope that there .NET 4 (full profile) should be installed automatically if it's missing (or if only .NET 4 client profile is installed), but I didn't had a chance to testing it yet.

• Daniel Schneider

You're completely right, there is a problem that "stuff" is loaded too fast on some systems and things gets loaded in the wrong order. There is a race condition when opening new settings from a double clicked .seb file and loading the default settings and displaying the default website.

I will try to solve this asap and release it as 2.0RC2. I also replaced the first version installer with a new build just before. I hope that there .NET 4 (full profile) should be installed automatically if it's missing (or if only .NET 4 client profile is installed), but I didn't had a chance to test it yet.

• Jarle Presttun

Jarle Presttun - 2014-02-18

Perfect! This will probably get SEB working around on most student computers then :-)
    Installing .NET automatically if missing is also great. Then SEB will work just like any other app that people download and install. That will make it much smoother to distribute in a BYOD setting

• Daniel Schneider

I released SEB 2.0 Release Candidate 2, where this problem with double clicking .seb files theoretically should be solved. As none on my machines had the problem, I could not test it in real. Would be great if you could find out, if it now works on the machines where it failed before. If not, please send me the SebClient.log from those machines.

• Jarle Presttun

Jarle Presttun - 2014-02-20

Know that trying to fix things you can't reproduce is a pain. I'll be happy to test out a debug version with more extensive logging. Just email it to me if you like.

• Daniel Schneider

Yes, I think I need a debug version with more extensive logging.

I guess my initial theory with the race condition was wrong. At least in this video I don't see your inspera page loading first at all, also the log doesn't indicate that it would be loading before the default settings page. There is only the error with the file name not being found. I guess you tried to start SEB with different .seb files with various file names? Maybe passing the file name as an argument to the SEB executable (what happens when you double click a .seb file) differs on some systems, I will add debug output to the log and let you test it again.

• Jarle Presttun

Jarle Presttun - 2014-02-20

Yes I have a set of .seb files that I have tested out. They all work with drag and drop but not when double clicking.

• Daniel Schneider

I think I found the reason for this strange Windows behavior when opening files with double click in stackoverflow.com, I will try the suggested solution and provide you with a debug version later today.

• Jarle Presttun

Jarle Presttun - 2014-02-21

C:\Users\iatest\Desktop\seb files\demo_excel.seb is the file I'm testing, and the path has a comma between seb and files when double clicking.
    When renaming the folder to "sebfiles" so that the folder contains no spaces, double clicking is no problem :-)

Double click:
    Event code: 0 Event type: Event detail code: 0 Message: OnLoad EventArgs: C:\Program Files (x86)\SafeExamBrowser\SafeExamBrowser.exe, C:\Users\iatest\Desktop\seb, files\demo_excel.seb Exception type: Details: Event date: 21.02.2014 08:14:25 Additional data:

Drag and drop:
    Event code: 0 Event type: Event detail code: 0 Message: OnLoad EventArgs: C:\Program Files (x86)\SafeExamBrowser\SafeExamBrowser.exe, C:\Users\iatest\Desktop\seb files\demo_excel.seb Exception type: Details: Event date: 21.02.2014 08:15:45 Additional data:

Last edit: Jarle Presttun 2014-02-21
  • Daniel Schneider

Ha! Yes, we found the bug! I guess that's the reason it worked on some machines and on some not, the paths either didn't had spaces or they had. If there is a space the path is split into multiple arguments.

I'll check the call setting of the .seb file type, which is written to the registry. Maybe I can add quote chars to solve the problem easily, otherwise I can add code to rejoin the split path elements.

• Jarle Presttun

Jarle Presttun - 2014-02-21

Worked for me too! Bug fixed! Thanks Daniel!

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks