Preserving layers in .tiff file

• Tim McNamara

Tim McNamara - 2011-04-03

When I save and reopen a .tiff file, the layers have been merged or flattened into one layer.  This is not acceptable to the people to whom I am sending a project to be printed, they want the layers to be available.  Unfortunately of the file formats available in Seashore, .tiff is the only one they will accept (they really would prefer Illustrator or Quark files but I'm not buying one of those for a single project).  How do I- or can I- prevent Seashore from merging or flattening the layers?

• minus0

minus0 - 2011-04-10

The basic TIFF format does not support layers. (It's a rather complicated format, so it kind of can, but certainly the seashore implementation doesn't). So the long and short is that you can't. What you could do, and many reasonable companies will accept, is to use multiple files. Save one flattened 'reference' image, and then save as with each of the separate layers exposed. Be sure to include some crosses in the corners for alignment. Also be sure to use a high resolution, as the key difference between the formats is tiff is a raster image format as opposed to a vector format the others are, so it won't scale as well for the printers. They will probably have told you a preferred DPI, if not, it's a good idea to ask. You can set the dpi in seashore under Image -> Resolution…

• Stephen Siciliano

If you can find any open source libraries that would work in OS X that we could use to import tiff files with layers we can certainly take a look. Unfortunately, the built-in Cocoa libraries for reading image files don't support it and that's what we use.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks