after evaluating SDCC for STM8 for a few weeks now, I still have some questions. I hope they are simple, and that someone will answer them. For your support thanks a lot in advance!!! :-) So, hereíre my questions:
- currently I use SDCC via an ASCII editor and a console. Is ok, but feels solo 80sÖ ;-) Is there any IDE with built-in support or configurable for SDCC/STM8? Ideally with compiling, linking, upload and debug (see below wish list)
- since Iím into physical computing, debugging via simulator is not a viable option. Is there a debugger with GUI, which supports SDCC and ST-Link (from STM8 discovery board)? If required, R-Link would also be ok
- does SDCC for STM8 also support float operations? I try to avoid float wherever possible, but sometimes it would come very handy, independent of speed and memory. In the (8051) manual it seems so, but I always get an error message when I try an operation with float numbers
- how can I write code to execute from RAM? I need to log data to flash, but since the flash is single-ported, the actual flash operations have to be executed from RAM (or so I think).
- if printf/sprintf supported by SDCC/STM8? Of course each instance could be replaced somehow, but Iíd rather not sieve through all my old projects...
- how do I specify flash segments/locations for the linker? I need to reserve some part of the flash for data logging, but I donít know how to tell the linker which
- and, last but not least, how can I define a far pointer to a >64kB address (i.e. 24 or 32 bit)
I know these are a lot of questions, but I hope they are simple to answer! In any case thanks a lot for your help and have a nice day!