aslink c-run-time-start-off code question

Help
romco
2011-05-15
2013-03-12
  • romco

romco - 2011-05-15

I have been using SDCC for 8051 since approximately one year and it is clearly a pleasure. Never had a problem. I apologize, but google search did not bring any other option to ask about aslink. I know it is not sdcc related, but could please someone point me, how to correctly link two files with aslink V5 ? I compile two asm file. One of them contains startup code, with .area   CRTSO   (ABS) and_ .org 0H0000_ directives. The other one contains main program with directive .area MAIN (REL,CON). The linker is invoked as aslink -l -o -s main main.rel crtso.rel and produces intel hex file but I see in the HEX code, that 0000 address is there twice, once it contains the main code and second occurence contains CRTSO code. Reading documentation does not help. It states "Absolute sections are always overlayed with other sections of this program area." which is for me totally weird, as I dont't want CRTSO overlayed with main program logically. Any help will be highly appreciated.

• Maarten Brock

Maarten Brock - 2011-05-17

That is why the aslink that comes with SDCC is modified. Our version does not automatically overlay ABSolute sections. If you want to use aslink V5 as-is you should complain to its author.

Btw. we are currently (and slowly) merging with aslink V5.

• romco

romco - 2011-05-17

Thank you Maarten. You did me favour by doing two things. First this confirmation of overlay for ABS areas means, that I was not that wrong about .org usage :-) Meanwhile I found a work around. Using -b switch for linker. I am not yet sure maybe this way one can allocate memory areas without ABS at all. Secondly, information that somebody else is actually using V5 means, that maybe this suite will not die soon. And yes I would complain, but there does not seem to be any help/support for asxxxx/aslink suite. Even their mail at webmaster …. kent.edu is dead. My message could not be delivered.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks