2007-04-12

Hello All, I have one for you.

void
    Main(void){
        unsigned int x = 65535;
        long y = (long)x;
        // y is now -1!!!
    }

Microsoft and GCC do it right: y = 65535.

• Joseph Donahue
      Joseph Donahue
      2007-04-12

What processor are you targeting?

This seems like a perfectly reasonable result to me.  Not sure exactly what the relevant standard has to say about it, but I've seen this behavior on several micros in the past.  I seem to recall it's one of those undefined or implementation defined behaviors.  At any rate, using VC++ or GCC on a PC these days; sizeof(unsigned int) == sizeof(long), on what-ever micro you are targeting, this is NOT necessarily the case; sizeof(unsigned int) might be sizeof(unsigned short int), and I am pretty sure those compilers are more compliant with the current C/C++ standards than SDCC.

65535 == 0xFFFF which if cast from signed to unsigned will be -1, if it is then cast from 16 bit to 32 bits the sign bit is extended.  What happens if you first cast to unsigned long?

unsigned int x = 65535 ;
      long y = (long)(unsigned long)x ;

This should perform an unsigned conversion to the correct size first and then reinterpret the result as signed. 

• Maarten Brock
      Maarten Brock
      2007-04-12

SDCC has got it right too.

First of all, this example does not even generate code for x or y. But if I change the function to return a long and add "return y;" it gives 0x0000FFFF. This is the only correct result even when sizeof(int) < sizeof(long) which is true for SDCC.

I tested mcs51 and z80. So the main question becomes which version of SDCC are you using?

• Wayne Taylor
      Wayne Taylor
      2007-04-17

Thank you both for taking the time to look at my problem.

I'm using SDCC 2.6.0 for the MCS8051.

It's true that the above function doesn't really create x or y, in the function where I saw this error, I really am using the long value and therefore it was created (wrong). I tried to write the easiest examlpe I could to show the problem.

In my code I printed out the hex value of y (from above) and it showed that during the conversion from my uint16 to my int32, it signed extended my uint. For numbers between $FFFF and $8000 it would save $FFFFFFFF and $FFFF8000 which is not what I wanted or expected.

• Maarten Brock
      Maarten Brock
      2007-04-17

My advice is then: try to find out if this also occurs with the latest snapshot and your code. If so, file a bug report including source code which reproduces the bug.

• This is not a Bug.

Microsoft GCC is probably compiling under a 32-bit CPU/Addressing.
      While SDCC is compiling for Embedded work, usually 16-bit MCU/Adressing.

So, if you assign 65535 to a 16-bit int,
      then read this int back, you will get -1.
      The 16-bit int range is -32768 to 32767.
      If you want 65535 in a 16-bit int, then use unsigned int (range 0 to 65535) !

Just like if you assign 255 to a Char, will give you -1.
      The 8-bit char range is 128 to 127.
      Unless, you use unsigned char (range 0 to 255)

QED.

• Patryk
      Patryk
      2007-05-23

jlsilicon: "If you want 65535 in a 16-bit int, then use unsigned int (range 0 to 65535) !"
      But jeronimo479 USED unsigned int :-) (unsigned int x = 65535;)

• AP2k
      AP2k
      2007-05-23

Typecast into an unsigned long.

When you typecast an unsigned into a signed, it isnt regarding it in its previous context, but instead of in its new context. Its typecast (new) context is a signed number, so it looks at what the signed magnitude is in the old context and equates that number to the new context. In such a case, x equals (2^16 - 1), but that number in signed context is -1. Since the compiler is regarding the signed context, it takes the -1 from an int and makes the long equal to the same number. Considering the unsigned context as an unsigned long, the compiler will regard the (2^16 - 1) and copy that into the long.