Dubious loops in SDCC

robert
2008-11-25
2013-03-12
  • robert

robert - 2008-11-25

I have a rather small SDCC project on MCS51 - I use  while(1) for an infinite main.  Oddly though, it loops a few times and then marches on to the next code it finds.  The disassembly seems fine - so it must be some kind of crazy stack thing that I haven't been able to track down.  Even when I wrap a goto around the while - it doesn't help.  I have tried --main-return both and and off without any effect.

Finally, it looks like I fixed it with a for/next with an embedded goto.  It seems to an effective infinite then, but has anyone else seen this of have some suggestions or am I just a little crazy?

The main thing I want is some stable behavior that can be rationally explained so I can trust this compiler.

• Maarten Brock

Maarten Brock - 2008-11-25

Unless you see this behaviour in a simulator, I think you should distrust your hardware. Do you have a stable Vcc? No watchdog intervening? Is the oscillator frequency correct?

But if you really think you found a bug in the compiler, file a bug report with the C and generated asm attached.

• robert

robert - 2008-11-25

Haha - how ironic, my customers always have bad bad bad hardware!

However, in this case, the design has been working fine with Keil C51 for a few months now, I do not have interrupts going, and the behavior is consistent :-/  I will try a different board though.  Also - good idea - I will try it on some simulator and try to get more detail esp if no one else has seen this same behavior.

THNX!

• robert

robert - 2008-11-26

OK - this may have been causing the issue, but if not it is a definite problem by itself, SDCC is thrashing the stack.  Is it some setting I have missed or do I have to manage this 100% on my own?  From the users manual - I got the impression that the startup code would automatically take care of such things (as the SP=07).

Source Code:

struct LCD_STRUCT {
          char Buffer[50];
      };

data struct LCD_STRUCT Lcd;
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Map file:

Area                               Addr   Size   Decimal Bytes (Attributes)
      --------------------------------   ----   ----   ------- ----- ------------
      DSEG                               0000   0032 =     50. bytes (REL,CON)

Value  Global
         --------  --------------------------------
           0008    G$Lcd$0$0
           0008    _Lcd

• robert

robert - 2008-11-27

I root caused it to the stack problem. A call inside the loop went awry and the bad return looked at first like the while() was errant.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks