The problem turned out to be that the Debian diff (from the source to
the Debianized source) includes a bunch of things that are added by the
autogen.sh process. When I cleaned all of that out, and changed the
build to use autogen.sh rather than just configure, it all worked
perfectly with the CVS snapshot code.
So here is a diff to the current CVS snapshot code that makes a
screem-snapshot Debian package. It works fine for me.
1. Retrieve the screem-dev source code from CVS as per instructions on
sourceforge project page
2. Build the screem-snapshot package:
zcat ../screem-snapshot.diff.gz | patch -p1
chmod +x debian/rules
I don't know enough about Debian control files to figure out what the
appropriate options are for Replaces: etc.... I put a "Conflicts:
screem" entry in there but it could probably do with some tweaking.
There are some nice new features in the CVS snapshot, and it has been
quite stable for me. I'm not a Debian maintainer so am sending this to
you in the hope that you'll upload it!
Try Debian Linux. Software freedom for the bold...
See http://www.debian.org for more information.