screem 0.10.2 does not start on Gentoo linux

Help
2004-06-20
2004-08-12
  • Olivier Smeesters

Hi,
    I'm trying to use SCREEM 0.10.2 on a Gentoo linux box but it fails to start.

olivier@Sweetie olivier $ screem

(screem:25413): GnomeUI-CRITICAL **: file gnome-window-icon.c: line 131 (gnome_window_icon_set_default_from_file): assertion `filename != NULL' failed
    I/O warning : failed to load external entity "/home/olivier/.screem/dtd_override.xml"

(screem:25413): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: g_object_set_valist: construct property "static" for object `RBSidebarButton' can't be set after construction

(screem:25413): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: g_object_set_valist: construct property "static" for object `RBSidebarButton' can't be set after construction

I/O warning : failed to load external entity "/home/olivier/.screem/tagtreeconfig.xml"

I tried version 0.6.2 (last marked as stable in gentoo package DB) and it was working. Unfortunately, it seems it is not able to reload a previous site file. It always considers a loaded site as an imported one.

Dependencies mentionned in the gentoo package are
    >=gnome-base/libgnome-2.2.0
    >=gnome-base/libgnomeui-2.2.0
    >=dev-libs/libxml2-2.4.3
    >=gnome-base/libglade-2.0.0
    >=gnome-base/gconf-2.2.0
    >=gnome-base/gnome-vfs-2.2.0
    >=x11-libs/gtk+-2.2
    >=dev-libs/glib-2.2
    >=gnome-base/libbonobo-2.2.0
    >=gnome-base/libbonoboui-2.2.0
    =gnome-extra/libgtkhtml-2*
    >=gnome-base/libgnomeprint-2.2.0
    >=gnome-base/libgnomeprintui-2.2.0
    >=x11-libs/gtksourceview-0.3.0
    >=dev-libs/libcroco-0.5

And those are satisfied (at least from the point of view of Portage).

What else can it be ?

Thanks for your help,

Olivier

• David A Knight

David A Knight - 2004-06-21

without a backtrace from gdb I can't say, all those messages there are harmless.  The one known problem with gentoo is the ebuild was incorrect at one point so screem didn't know where to look for its files, not sure if that has been fixed yet or not.

• Olivier Smeesters

Hi David,
        Thanks for answering so promptly.
        I tried to rebuild screem without stripping symbols so you get a valid backtrace and here is what I've seen:

Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
        0x080cbd36 in egg_menu_merge_get_widget ()
        (gdb) bt
        #0  0x080cbd36 in egg_menu_merge_get_widget ()
        #1  0x083422b0 in ?? ()
        #2  0x080f8471 in info.1 ()

From a user point of view, I see the splash screen not displayed but the icons and status text that should come over it appear. When the crash happens, it says "Creating interface".
        In fact, the icons don't appear. It is kind of a placeholder that appear instead.

I hope this will allow to help me...

Thanks anyway for your support.

Olivier

• David A Knight

David A Knight - 2004-06-22

This is probably the gentoo packaging bug which is causing screem to look in /var/tmp/screem-0.10.2/ for its files.

• .:deadhead:.

.:deadhead:. - 2004-08-12

Exactly. You got here the bug report [http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=30800]...

I'm finishing a little howto 4 installing it, using another ebuild. Stay tuned osmeest

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks