I've got a Mandrake 7.2 system and I'm having some trouble compiling the new 0.4.0.  The configure didn't complain but the compile failed with :
/home/norman/screem-0.4.0/src/pageDruid.c:652: undefined reference to `gtk_html_get_type'
/home/norman/screem-0.4.0/src/pageDruid.c:652: undefined reference to `gtk_html_begin'
/home/norman/screem-0.4.0/src/pageDruid.c:653: undefined reference to `gtk_html_get_type'
/home/norman/screem-0.4.0/src/pageDruid.c:653: undefined reference to `gtk_html_write'
/home/norman/screem-0.4.0/src/pageDruid.c:654: undefined reference to `gtk_html_get_type'
/home/norman/screem-0.4.0/src/pageDruid.c:654: undefined reference to `gtk_html_end'
preview.o: In function `screem_preview':
/home/norman/screem-0.4.0/src/preview.c:101: undefined reference to `gtk_html_new'
preview.o: In function `url_requested':
/home/norman/screem-0.4.0/src/preview.c:155: undefined reference to `gtk_html_get_type'
/home/norman/screem-0.4.0/src/preview.c:155: undefined reference to `gtk_html_write'
/home/norman/screem-0.4.0/src/preview.c:167: undefined reference to `gtk_html_get_type'
/home/norman/screem-0.4.0/src/preview.c:167: undefined reference to `gtk_html_end'
preview.o: In function `screem_preview_display':
/home/norman/screem-0.4.0/src/preview.c:269: undefined reference to `gtk_html_get_type'
/home/norman/screem-0.4.0/src/preview.c:269: undefined reference to `gtk_html_set_editable'
/home/norman/screem-0.4.0/src/preview.c:271: undefined reference to `gtk_html_get_type'
/home/norman/screem-0.4.0/src/preview.c:271: undefined reference to `gtk_html_begin'
/home/norman/screem-0.4.0/src/preview.c:272: undefined reference to `gtk_html_get_type'
/home/norman/screem-0.4.0/src/preview.c:272: undefined reference to `gtk_html_write'
/home/norman/screem-0.4.0/src/preview.c:273: undefined reference to `gtk_html_get_type'
/home/norman/screem-0.4.0/src/preview.c:273: undefined reference to `gtk_html_end'
preview.o: In function `screem_help_display':
/home/norman/screem-0.4.0/src/preview.c:419: undefined reference to `gtk_html_get_type'
/home/norman/screem-0.4.0/src/preview.c:419: undefined reference to `gtk_html_begin'
print.o: In function `screem_do_print':
/home/norman/screem-0.4.0/src/print.c:228: undefined reference to `gtk_html_get_type'
/home/norman/screem-0.4.0/src/print.c:228: undefined reference to `gtk_html_print'
/home/norman/screem-0.4.0/src/print.c:246: undefined reference to `gtk_html_get_type'
/home/norman/screem-0.4.0/src/print.c:246: undefined reference to `gtk_html_print'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[3]: *** [screem] Error 1

I looked for gtk_html and found libxml.so.1 and libxml.so.2 both in /usr/lib.   I also am including the portion of config.log where it registers a complaint but didn't tell me during the configuration process. 

#line 3766 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"
/* Override any gcc2 internal prototype to avoid an error.  */
/* We use char because int might match the return type of a gcc2
    builtin and then its argument prototype would still apply.  */      

Thanks!

Norman