Recovery Time and ITI Question

Help
Lauren
2017-09-23
2017-09-23
  • Lauren

Lauren - 2017-09-23

Hello:

In using SCRalyze to analyze and view some data I just came across a couple of questions. Is there an estimate of SCR full recovery time? It seems as if most articles/reviews talk about "half-recovery" time which seems to be 10ish seconds but I haven't come across values for full recovery time and it seems too simplistic and not necessarily logical to assume 2 x half-recovery as a valid equation to get this value.
    This also leads into my second question: I see studies generally using 10s (half-recovery time) as a basis for their ITIs (or 14s, which does not seem to reach full recovery either). So the time between trials is on average 10s after a shock. Is this...ok? If the response isn't fully recovered after 10s isn't the measurement of the next response going to be biased?

Thanks for any insight you guys can provide. Just some stuff I came across looking at timecourses of SCRs.

Lauren

• Dominik Bach

Dominik Bach - 2017-09-25

Hi Lauren. You can plot an SCR resposne function using pspm_bf_scrf_f or look at the figures in Bach, Flandin, Friston, Dolan, IJP 2010 to get an approximation to the full recovery time. However, if you are using a deconvolution approach such as PsPM, the ITI can be much shorter than the recovery time. In general I'd recommend switching from SCRalyze to the most up-to-date PsPM version. Hope this helps. Dominik

👍
  • Lauren

Lauren - 2017-09-25

Thanks for the citation and the recommendation, Dominik. I will check both the article and options out.
    I appreciate your time.