Menu

Compile ScidVsMac under OS11 Big Sur

2021-08-01
2023-02-25
  • Mario Sudholt

Mario Sudholt - 2021-08-01

I have tried to use the precompiled Mac 64bit binaries pour un MacBook Pro with M1 proc. under Big Sur (vers. 11.4) and compile it using different TcL/Tk distributions (Big Sur standard, ActiveTcl), partially tinkering with the Tcl/Tk include and library settings of the Scid configure script - without success.

Finally, I (essentially) succeeded by installing Tcl/Tk using Mac Port (Tcl/Tk version 8.6.11) after installing the following ports :

tcl      @8.6.11_0+corefoundation+threads
      tcllib   @1.20_1   
      tk       @8.6.11_0+x11       
      tkdnd    @2.9.2_0+x11        
      tklib    @0.7_0

I could use the scid source distribution (vers. 4.22) without changes to the configure and generated Makefile scripts. I had to comment out one line in the generated scid file after installation (/usr/local/bin/scid) :

package require tkDND 3.0

(Does anybody know whether there is already a vers. 3 of TkDND? I simply installed the port for vers. 2.9.2, see the port list above).

During execution startup, scid throws some errors ('invalid command name "registertypes"') but does work without any serious problems. As read elsewhere I had to remove the "engines.dat" configuration file, but could then add the stockfish14 engine without problems.

The executable has to be started from the command line, I didn't invest time in a correct MacOS packaging.

If you need more information don't hesitate to contact me via soft@msud.fr.

Last edit: Mario Sudholt 2021-08-01
  • Steven

Steven - 2021-08-02

Thanks for the info, and congrats getting it going on Big Sur.
    Maybe a ScidvsMac compiled on Big Sur doesn't have the cripplingly slow engine latency
    that i get compiling the 64 bit cocoas app on El Capitan?

Did it sucessfully use/detect Makefile.conf.darwin as the Makefile template ??
    as this conf file has the DND stuff removed.
    Our TkDND is authored by Gregor, and provided in src/tkdnd and tcl/dnd, but is disabled/unported on Mac, and would probably take some decent coding to get going.

Sorry, but i don't intend installing Big Sur on my Mac.
    Cheers

• Mario Sudholt

Mario Sudholt - 2021-08-02

Maybe a ScidvsMac compiled on Big Sur doesn't have the cripplingly slow engine latency
      that i get compiling the 64 bit cocoas app on El Capitan?

Previously, on Catalina and earlier, I experienced important latency with the engines with the prebuilt 64bit binaries in the following sense: stopping the engine execution or forcing a move often did not stop the current evaluation that could go on for several seconds to up to a minute. I assume this is due to some bugs or incomptabilities concerning thread handling.

Steven, did you refer to this kind of latency?

With the build I did for Big Sur, this problem seems to have disappeared: I used the build only a few number of times but stockfish14 evaluation has always stopped and started immediately after the corresponding keyboard click or button push.

Another big plus (which is perhaps related to this problem but may also come from the new M1 architecture) is that the fans of my MacBook Pro fire up only rarely now (while they did almost always before) if, as I typically do, run evaluation until 30 plies.

Did it sucessfully use/detect Makefile.conf.darwin as the Makefile template ??

I didn't check. The configure script identified the OS as "Darwin 20.5.0", the generated Makefile does not contain any reference to "Darwin" or "darwin".

• Steven

Steven - 2021-08-02

Previously, on Catalina and earlier, I experienced important latency with the engines with the prebuilt 64bit binaries in the following sense: stopping the engine execution or forcing a move often did not stop the current evaluation that could go on for several seconds to up to a minute. I assume this is due to some bugs or incomptabilities concerning thread handling.

Steven, did you refer to this kind of latency?

Yes, exactly this.
    So i guess the problem is likely in my build. :( Maybe i will install a Mojave dev environment one day and try to make more up-to-date builds.
    Thanks for the files... which are unfortunately not universal, only dedicated M1 binaries.

PS - you can reverse the right and middle buttons by doing a "make mac_buttons"
    Mac Tk has them back to front for some historical reason.

• Joe

Joe - 2023-02-25

where can I find these dedicated M1 binaries you speak of?