Menu

Plot/axes alignment

2020-06-15
2020-06-23
  • Alexander Ploumistos

Hello,

I hope everyone has been doing well during these weird times.

I wonder if there is a way to accomplish what I'm failing to do and I just haven't been able to figure it out. Attached is a rather simple case of a thermal analysis. I am monitoring several different values as my samples are heated and I need to know what happens at which point. My x values are temperature and time and I have a bunch of different y values, all at very different magnitudes.
    A single plot with 2 y axes becomes difficult to read after adding the third curve and for more complex samples it's just a jumbled doodle.
    I thought I could perhaps plot each curve on its own and align the graphs, but because of of the different magnitudes, the scales are offset and do not align well.
    Can this be done somehow? I have MS analyses of the gases that evolve during the thermal decomposition of the samples, that I need to add to this mess and its impossible to figure out when each species appears.

On a completely unrelated note, I gave up on waiting for the Qwt maintainer in Fedora to provide a subpackage of Qwt5 built with Qt5, so I bit the bullet and got a new package reviewed and accepted. SciDAVis 2.3.0 and qwt5-qt5 are currently in rawhide and they should appear in the updates-testing repositories within the day.

Best regards,
    A.

• Fellype

Fellype - 2020-06-22

Hi Alexander,
      At the moment, the only way to align the axes is by adjusting the numeric format so to have the same number of characters in the axes labes. But, it is not always possible.

• Alexander Ploumistos

Hi Fellype,

Thank you, I was afraid it would be something like that. I guess I will also need to write every number with a decimal separator and hope the plots line up. Well, as long as they are aligned, I could touch up the numbers in Gimp to get rid of any unseemly formats.

All the best,
        A.

• Fellype

Fellype - 2020-06-23

When I face a limitation in SciDAVis graphs, I use Python + Matplotlib to do the job. It works from python notes in SciDAVis :-D
          Of course, the content of tables must be converted to arrays before it.