Graphviz Windows download msi

jrl124c
2009-03-16
2013-05-29
  • jrl124c

jrl124c - 2009-03-16

Where can I download a Graphviz Windows msi that will work with SchemaSpy?

• John Currier

John Currier - 2009-03-16

Is there something about the latest Windows versions (http://www.graphviz.org/Download_windows.php) that doesn't work with SchemaSpy?

John

• jrl124c

jrl124c - 2009-03-16

My error, had installed in incorrectly Thanks.

• John Currier

John Currier - 2009-03-16

Cool.  Glad you figured it out.

John

• David Graham

David Graham - 2009-08-13

Actually, John.  Even when installed "correctly" dot is quite often NOT FOUND even when it is in the path.  Whether this is due to Graphviz  using "." dots in their program directory name or not I don't know.

But, it would be VERY helpful to be able to specify a path from the command line or via SchemaSpyGui.

David

• John Currier

John Currier - 2009-08-13

I've seen situations where Java programs don't see changes in the environment until after a reboot.  I imagine those are a result of the quick launcher that sometimes gets installed.

• John Currier

John Currier - 2009-08-13

Can you try the latest beta at http://schemaspy.sourceforge.net/schemaSpy.jar with the -dot option pointing to your dot executable and let me know if that solves the issue?

John

• John Currier

John Currier - 2009-08-17

I've slightly changed how this is accomplished.  The new option is instead -gv to specify where Graphviz is installed.  This will allow me to use other Graphviz tools if required in the future.  Beta version at http://schemaspy.sourceforge.net/schemaSpy.jar has been updated.

John

• newfound

newfound - 2009-09-12

I am really confused. How do I get Graphviz to work? I just downloaded the msi file from the site and I downloaded the file from the last post but both the -gv and the -dot modifiers do not work….. so what do I do and in what order do I do it.

thanks,

newfound

• John Currier

John Currier - 2009-09-14

I assume you installed Graphviz and not just downloaded it.

How did it fail?  What messages were displayed?

John

• newfound

newfound - 2009-09-14

I downloaded at the most recent build of gviz and then i downloaded and installed the most recent version of sspy and tried to run it and it didnt work. then i downloaded the files above and tried it with the -gv and or -dot switches to the dot.exe file and it sent out some errors. I changed the order of the switches and finally the error that I got was that it was unable to read the version of graphviz file. it recommend that I use a version that was like 2.21 or 2.4 and above. the problem with version 2.4 is that the latest version that I have seen out has been 2.24 not 2.4….

thanks,

newfound

• John Currier

John Currier - 2009-09-15

You've said twice that you've downloaded Graphviz.  Again: have you *installed* it?  Sometimes a reboot is required before Graphviz becomes available on the path to Java programs due to the way the Java quick load thing works.

Note that the -gz option is not normally required to run SchemaSpy.  It was recently added for people that didn't want to have the dependency on the PATH.

Hopefully it says that it requires 2.2.1 or higher (2.4 does not work) and not 2.21.  The latest on the site is 2.24, which is much more recent than 2.2.1 or 2.4.

• newfound

newfound - 2009-09-15

sorry, i thought that since i was using your software that it would have been implied that if i downloaded your software and "installed" it that I would have also installed the dependencies ie graphviz. So to clearly state it. Yes I have installed both graphviz and schemaspy (extracted). No I can not restart the machine. The environment that I am in will not all persistence. Hence the reason why I was trying to send the program the location of graphviz program to schemaspy.

Yes it replies …"requires 2.2.1 or higher (2.4 does not work) and not 2.21"… but it also replies that it can not get the version of the graphviz program.

thanks,

newfound

• newfound

newfound - 2009-09-15

…"will not all persistence.".. should be …"will not allow persistence."…

• John Currier

John Currier - 2009-09-15

Okay, now I understand.

The -gv option needs to point to the directory that you've installed Graphviz in.  It should not point to the Graphviz/bin directory and should be in double quotes if it the path contains spaces.

Also make sure that you're not getting any warnings (i.e. clues about what's wrong).

John

• newfound

newfound - 2009-09-15

I will try using the -gv switch again. so to be clear I would do something like -gv "c:\program files\graphviz\" and not -gv "c:\program files\graphviz\bin\dot.exe"

thanks,

newfound

• John Currier

John Currier - 2009-09-16

Correct.  Originally I thought I'd point directly to dot, but then I realized that that would limit my ability to use other Graphviz features in the future.

John

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks