Menu

2G Limit?

Help
2006-03-25
2013-02-05
  • Will Simpson

Will Simpson - 2006-03-25

I seem to be running up against a 2G limit on the files.tgz part of the backup. Here is some background on what I've looked at so far.

Ubuntu 5.10 packages installed from Ubuntu repositories

uname -a = Linux kestrel 2.6.12-10-386 #1 Sat Mar 11 16:13:17 UTC 2006 i686 GNU/Linux

ulimit -a =
    core file size        (blocks, -c) 0
    data seg size         (kbytes, -d) unlimited
    file size             (blocks, -f) unlimited
    max locked memory     (kbytes, -l) unlimited
    max memory size       (kbytes, -m) unlimited
    open files                    (-n) 1024
    pipe size          (512 bytes, -p) 8
    stack size            (kbytes, -s) 8192
    cpu time             (seconds, -t) unlimited
    max user processes            (-u) unlimited
    virtual memory        (kbytes, -v) unlimited

target fs = ext3
    destination fs via ssh = ext2

I get no errors so I found this out only after my second full backup. I questioned why both fulls were exaxtly the same size and found the first full was missing a lot of files. By doing a full then immediately an incrimental backup, I've got everything I wanted to backup. 2G full + 1.4G inc.

Does anyone have any ideas where I should look so I can over come this likesize limitation. Is this an OS or FS or app or user issue?

Will
    willsimpson.org

• Aigars Mahinovs

Aigars Mahinovs - 2006-08-08

I am not quite sure, where the problem is, but up to now it as only been reported on VFAT partitions. We will need to look into that.

• Aigars Mahinovs

Aigars Mahinovs - 2006-08-23

Please try if it has been resolved with 0.10. Several people have confirmed making backups in excess of 6 Gb with it and restoring files from such backups too.

• Jakob Malm

Jakob Malm - 2006-10-19

I have sbackup 0.10.2 on Ubuntu Dapper. I just tried backing my approximately 50 GB of data to a VFAT partition last night with a resulting 4 GB file. Would it work better if I backed up to an ext3 file system?

• Will Simpson

Will Simpson - 2006-10-19

malmjako
        Sorry, no help here, I upgraded to 10.0 and my problem was solved. I back up from a ext3 to and a ext2 filesystem. I also upgraded to a 2.6.15-26-386 kernel. I'm about to upgrade to Edgy so I hope it doesn't break.

Good luck to you.