Install sbackup

Help
Andrea
2008-10-22
2013-02-05
  • Andrea

Andrea - 2008-10-22

Hi all,

i would like to try sbackup and i download the latest release from this site, open whit install packages and install it. I see two new link into system / administration menu, Simple Backup Conf and Simple Backup Restore, but if i try to run it i receive an error: unable to run sbakup so-no-root sub-system.

How can install it into my ubuntu 8.04
    Thanks a lot

• IMSargon

IMSargon - 2008-10-25

Are you still having this problem and keeping current with updates?

Here's what my entry in the menu looks like:
      su-to-root -X -c /usr/sbin/simple-backup-config

Right-click on your menu and go to "Edit Menu" to see if yours matches.

• Andrea

Andrea - 2008-10-25

Hi imsargon,

after your reply i chek my menu and i see that there is the same line that you post. I change it into gksu /usr/sbin/simple-backup-config and the same for restor option and now it works.

I don't understand why sbackup use su-to-root -X -c for run the application, can you or someone explain it?

Thanks a  lot.

• IMSargon

IMSargon - 2008-10-26

su-to-root is actually a script that can call gksu (GNOME) or kdesu (KDE) or others. Using that allows the same package to be used in Ubuntu as Kubuntu or whatever. When I first installed sbackup I guess I didn't have su-to-root installed and it didn't turn up as a dependency. I think there are a few bug reports floating around on the subject - they'll figure it out.

• Andrea

Andrea - 2008-10-27

Thanks for reply, i didn't know su-to-root is a good script for manage two distro with same interface to root.