As is my habit, immediately after breaking down and asking for help I found the answer myself.
For those who were curious, all I had to do was set the base.dir parameter in the docbook xsl.
Sorry for adding noise to the channel,
I’m a little stumped. I’m not sure if I should be posting this to this list or docbook-apps.
I’m using Saxon 6.5.5 from the command line, and when I attempt to use it against the docbook-xsl eclipse stylesheets (which using chunking, of course) the output is consistently sent to stdout. I’ve found the Saxon command line parameters for defining the output if it is a single file, but I can’t find anything for when the output is a specific directory.
I’m actually using Saxon 9 for the vast majority of my toolchain, but apparently there is not yet a version of the docbook-xsl sheets that accommodate xsl 2.0, so I’m switching back to Saxon 6.5.5 for this last link. If there is a smarter way of doing this, I’m all ears.