Menu

Will Schemas be supported soon?

Help
Anonymous
2002-03-05
2012-10-08
  • Anonymous

Anonymous - 2002-03-05

I'm just now learning XML, XSL, etc and I'm been reading many, many articles on the future of XML.  Most columnists seem to agree that the Schema design will become the way of the future, and that DTDs will all but disappear.  Guided by this information, I've been searching for an XSLT processor that can handle Schemas and have only discovered one: Microsoft's MSXML.

Unfortunately, my limited experience with it (via Altova's XML Spy) shows many flaws (i.e. strip-space fails across namespaces; xsl:output indent attribute ignored).  With recent news about xt no longer being developed (at least by the original author), I feel I'm left with a choice between saxon and xalan.  But neither one mentions the new W3C Schema recommendation in their documentation.

Are there any plans to adopt the new recommendation in the near future?  Michael Kay briefly mentions it in his post <http://sourceforge.net/forum/message.php?msg_id=1473776>, but some discussion or elaboration would ease by troubled mind.

Greg Faron

• Michael Kay

Michael Kay - 2002-03-05

Saxon 7.0 is my first step towards implementing XSLT 2.0 which will have schema support. There are many details yet to be resolved in the specs so I expect it will be a while before I feel comfortable enough to implement this part of the facility; also, I'm not yet confident that there is a suitable open source schema processor I can use. So it's a case of "watch this space".

Mike Kay