You opinion about an extension

• Ivan Latysh

Ivan Latysh - 2009-01-21

Hello Michael!

I would really appreciate if you can have a look at this Saxon extension. It is a simple emitter that produce an Email message from a transformation.

I am looking for a validation of an idea. For instance you may say that it is a bad idea and you better to look at ..... or it does has some merit in it.

P.S. Appreciate your time.

• Ivan Latysh

Ivan Latysh - 2009-01-30

Thank you for your time and a feedback.

I am not looking for it to be bundled with Saxon, it will do fine as an extension. This why I released JcrDocumentWraper and EmailEmitter together, since both are extensions.

Source code is available on code tab, here is the direct link:
      Documentation is coming.

I will change package names, and namespaces, as you asked.

P.S. Would be nice to write a small article on doing the mail merge with Stylus Studio, what d.u. think ?

• Michael Kay

Michael Kay - 2009-01-30

Seems a useful extension, and the design looks perfectly sound.

I'm not going to bundle it with the Saxon product for maintainability reasons - it's another thing to test, the testing isn't trivial, and as far as I can see you haven't supplied a test suite. I'd prefer such things to be available as third-party plug-ins maintained by their contributors. That also means you get to choose your own license conditions and you don't have to sign any IP release paperwork.

I couldn't actually find the source code of the Emitter (or much in the way of documentation)

I would ask you not to use "" or "net.sf.saxon" in your package name or namespace - it creates confusion about who the originator is, and I don't want people thinking that it's a supported part of the product.

Do feel free to document it in the Saxon wiki on Sourceforge, however.

Michael Kay

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks