Menu

Create fishnet grid with a distance that takes into account elevation

2023-06-11
2024-03-26
  • Ann De Schutter

Ann De Schutter - 2023-06-11

Hi,

I would like to create a 2525 m grid on a polygon that takes into account elevation. So I don't want a simple fishnet grid that is 2525m but I want it to take into account the elevation model, so the grid points are spread around equally on the ground, but it won't look like that on the map. When it's steeper, the maps will show more points, where it's flat, it will look like a normal 25*25m grid. Any thoughts/hints on how to do this? Thanks a lot.

Ann

• Miha Žemva

Miha Žemva - 2023-07-13

If I understood goal well here are some brainstorms:

• making much higher* resolution for base map(grid)
    • calculating slope grid
    • you need to determine how much higher resolution is for ex. 5deg and so on..; max slope will define *
    • -all this can be achieved with band calculation,resampling or/and using and/or generating point shapefiles (I don't have SAGA GIS open now)

"the maps will show more points"_not so clear to me
    your final grid will have higher resolution and you desire flat terraine 25m res_that should be final correction of *high resolution grid so flat terrain will have on it's borders 25m saw edges

There is more though..depending..

Mike

• Volker Wichmann

Volker Wichmann - 2023-09-27

Of course you can use whatever software you like, but as far as I understood the original question, this is simply not possible. You can't create such a projection of a regular grid - all you could do is to adjust the spacing of points along one direction (x or y) but you can't create a 2D dataset taking both into account.
    But maybe I don't understand the question, in which case a sketch of what something like this might look like would be helpful.

Best regards,
    Volker