Menu

How to open GeoTIFF file

Srle
2021-10-18
2022-07-27
  • Srle

Srle - 2021-10-18

In version 7 of the saga gis, I could open the geotiff file, now in version 8 that is not possible, where am I wrong?

• Volker Wichmann

Volker Wichmann - 2021-10-18

This has not changed in SAGA version 8, but please use the SAGA 8.0.1 release as it includes all runtime dependencies.

• Srle

Srle - 2021-10-18

I already use 8.0.1 release.

• Volker Wichmann

No problems on my side, I can open GeoTiffs with SAGA 8.0.1 (using the x64.zip).

What error message do you get? Which tool are you using?

• Srle

Srle - 2021-10-18

I used saga gis installer, no message. when i try to open the geotiff through saga gis, nnot imported, geotiff is not imported, empty.

• Volker Wichmann

Do you have the io_gdal.dll tool library loaded?

• Srle

Srle - 2021-10-18

I don't know, I would have to check, but I'm not at the computer right now. I'll check tomorrow, thanks. Where can I find that file?

• Volker Wichmann

Use the "Geoprocessing > Load Tool Library" menu entry and load the file from the "tools" folder of your SAGA installation.

• Srle

Srle - 2021-10-18

I will try, thanks.

• Srle

Srle - 2021-10-19

Failed!?
    SAGA GIS 8.0.1. x64.zip works.

Last edit: Srle 2021-10-19
  • Volker Wichmann

Volker Wichmann - 2021-10-19

I've just verified with the installer, works for me. Most likely there is some c++ runtime missing on your system. What windows version are you using?

• Srle

Srle - 2021-10-19

Windows 10 pro.

• Volker Wichmann

Hmm, so do I. I can only suggest to either go back to the last SAGA version that worked for you, or, if you like to give it a try, do the following experiment:

• download the saga-7.9.1_x64.zip
    • extract the archive
    • copy the following .dll files to your SAGA 8.0.1 installation folder:
    * all api*.dll files
    * concrt140.dll
    * msvcp140.dll
    * ucrtbase.dll
    * vcomp140.dll
    * vcruntime140.dll

Actually it would be quite interesting for us (the developers) to see if this would make SAGA 8.0.1 working for you.

• Srle

Srle - 2021-10-19

I did everything as you said, and again the same.

• Volker Wichmann

Hmm, sorry, I'm out of ideas then as I can't reproduce the problem on my side.

• Volker Wichmann

Volker Wichmann - 2021-11-12

I've finally had access to a computer on which is was able to reproduce the problem. Seems like it is related to other software installed and added to the PATH environment variable. This changes the order in which .dlls are loaded. We will try to fix this with the next SAGA release. In the meantime you can work around the problem by copying these two files

libcurl.dll
    ogdi.dll

from the "saga-8.0.1_x64//dll/gdal-3.3.0" folder to the main folder (i.e. "saga-8.0.1_x64" where saga_gui.exe resides). Restart SAGA and you should be able to load the io_gdal.dll.

Best regards,
    Volker

• Matthias Müller

Hello, I'm using SAGA 8.3.0 and cannot open tiff-files. I tried the steps described above (copy libcurl.dll...., but without success). I tried it with "saga-8.3.0_x64_setup" and "saga-8.3.0_x64" zip file, both installed on the "C"-drive, where admin rights are required in my case.
    I then tried "saga-8.3.0_x64" zip file on my local "D"-drive and finally I can load tiff-files. So it seems it has something to do with admin rights, which seem to affect these libraries somehow (I am not an expert in that topic).
    Kind regards, Matthias

• Volker Wichmann

Volker Wichmann - 2022-07-19

Hi Matthias,

the issue reported in this thread should be resolved with recent SAGA versions. I just tried the 8.3.0 release version and I can load geotiff files as expected. It is also strange that it works for you from the "D" drive but not from "C".

Could you please verify the following:

• please start from a clean extraction of the ZIP file on your "C" drive and try again
    • can you load the io_gdal.dll tool library?
    • if you had an older SAGA version running: verify that saga_gui does not accidentally load older tool libraries from your previous installation. Have a look at the path of the loaded tool libraries: select a tool library in the "Tools" tab and then have a look at the "Description" tab.

Best regards,
    Volker

• Matthias Müller

Hi Volker
    I tried it with the zip file on my C drive and it works. io_gdal.dll tool library can be loaded and paths are correct.

I then tried it again with the "saga-8.3.0_x64_setup" to be sure, and it did not work. The io_gdal.dll tool library can not be loaded.

Then I retried it with the extracted zip file from my C drive and it did not work (it worked before, see above)! So I deleted the previously unzipped files and unzipped it again, to have a fresh unzipped version. And it worked again.... No idea from my side ;-)

Hope this helps

Kind regards

Matthias

• Volker Wichmann

Volker Wichmann - 2022-07-27

Hi Matthias,

I also have no idea, this must be something very special to your system. Hopefully you can obtain a state in which everything works.

Best regards,
    Volker