Menu

Pugixml could be better than RapidXml

rredline
2023-11-07
2023-11-16
  • rredline

rredline - 2023-11-07

Hi,

In the change log of "foo_input_sacd" v1.5.8, I noticed this update: "SACD Metabase XML parser replaced by RapidXml."

It's interesting that the Metabase XML was replaced, which means that our existing updated tags need to be redone.

After updating an SACD-ISO tag, all music track names (in Unicode Chinese characters) are displayed correctly. The only minor issue is that when playing a particular track, it reverts back to the SACD-ISO's default track name, while other tracks still display the updated track names.

Based on online discussions, it appears that RapidXML is no longer actively developed, and its Unicode support is limited. On the other hand, pugixml is nearly as fast as RapidXML, still in active development, and offers better Unicode support. Therefore, pugixml might be a better choice.

For your consideration only. Thank you.

Regards,
    Des

• Maxim V.Anisiutkin

Hi,

I thought that there's no need to reload metabase tags because they should be read exactly in the same way. Thank you about mentioning this issue with Chinese chars, I haven't seen such thing yet. Could you, please, attach the original (unmodified by new plugin XMP parser) metabase .XML file here as well?

I used RapidXML just because it's so to speak "headers only" solution. "Rapid" is not the concern at all here. If pugixml has better Unicode support and doesn't have to be built as the library, I'll probably use it instead of RapidXML.

Thanks,
    Maxim

• simear2004

simear2004 - 2023-11-15

Have the same problem, the tags of the project being played will revert to the default SACD-ISO tags, displayed in English or Pinyin.
    Also, it is not possible to read the metadata tags in XML file.
    Back to version 1.5.5, everything is back to normal

Last edit: simear2004 2023-11-15
  • Maxim V.Anisiutkin

Cool, thank you very much!

• simear2004

simear2004 - 2023-11-15

Another problem with 1.5.9 is that you can't save the tags of the ISO file in the song directory

• Maxim V.Anisiutkin

I tried to fix tags reading/writing in v1.5.10. Actually, pugixml is the better choice. Thanks a lot for this hint.

• rredline

rredline - 2023-11-16

Sorry, I have now attached the original xml of the mentioned SACD-ISO.

• rredline

rredline - 2023-11-16

This is another album's tag after updated to v1.5.8, before v1.5.8 it display Chinese characters correctly with metabase xml.

• Maxim V.Anisiutkin

I've tested 1.5.10 on Deric Wan's SACD, and it seems to be functional.

• rredline

rredline - 2023-11-16

Yes. I've just tested v1.5.10, it's now working perfectly. Thank you!!