Menu

Off topic -- mpd player and SACD ISO

2022-01-27
2022-01-29
  • Prem Subramaniam

Dear Maxim,

I know you have been leading the way to get SACD ISO support on mpd player. I have your source code from some earlier work, but there are errors compiling this from source. I don't know if you are still working on it or there is a latest version and I got the wrong one.

So I was able to transfer the SACD and DVD-A ISO modules from your source into Max Kellermean's mpd source and it compiled and is running fine for all other formats -- except of course it does not see the SACD ISO images.  Maybe it needs to read it as a 'data' file? Any comments you can provide would be very much appreciated.

I am willing to do the compiling, and testing is that will help you get this working.

Regards!

• Maxim V.Anisiutkin

Have you add decoders to mpd.conf file?

• Prem Subramaniam

Thanks, Maxim for replying. I am happy to report I got SACD ISO working ! It plays quite well for the trials I did. Thank you for your source code.

For DVD-A mpd complained about my dvd-a iso..

Yes, I have the decoders in mpd.conf like this: If there is anything else to add please let me know if this can be improved.

decoder {
    plugin "sacdiso"
    dstdec_threads "4"
    edited_master "true"
    lsbitfirst "false"
    playable_area "stereo"
    }

For DVD-A I have this, but mpd got stuck on trying to read dvd-iso file I have only one file, maybe I can test others.

decoder {
    plugin "dvdaiso"
    no_downmixes "false"
    no_short_tracks "false"
    playable_area "multichannel"
    tags_path "/var/lib/mpd/dvda_metabase"
    tags_with_iso "true"
    }

• Maxim V.Anisiutkin

Does the plugin show DVD-A track list?

decoder {
    plugin "dvdaiso"
    no_downmixes "false"
    no_short_tracks "false"
    playable_area "stereo"
    }

• Prem Subramaniam

EDIT2: SO I was correct. It has to be pure DVD-A, not BR DVD-A which is stuff like DTS_MA etc. The DVD-A iso format also opens now !!!!!!!!!
    Excellent!!!!

EDIT I think my ISO is not pure DVD-A. I have to check this? It maybe bluray DVD-A....that will not work , right?
    [[[
    No it fails. mpd crashes. SACD ISO still works.

decoder {
    plugin "dvdaiso"
    no_downmixes "false"
    no_short_tracks "false"
    playable_area "stereo"
    }

update: reading DVD-A Best of BDA disc 1/best of disc 1 bda.iso
    Segmentation fault (core dumped)

]]]]

Last edit: Prem Subramaniam 2022-01-29
  • Maxim V.Anisiutkin

"best of disc 1 bda.iso" looks like Blu-ray disc name. Does this ISO contain AUDIO_TS subfolder with files?

• Prem Subramaniam

Yes, I mentioned in my two edits that that was the problem. I now downloaded a true DVD-A sampler iso and it now works with that also!!! So yes, the DVD-A must be the DVD equivalent of DVD-A.

I am sure BR DVD-A will be nice to have, but maybe mpd is not capable. I wonder if any module exists in your experience.

Last edit: Prem Subramaniam 2022-01-29
  • Maxim V.Anisiutkin

I added some protection against unknown ISOs. The problem with BR is in audio formats (like DTS MA, Dolby Atmos, etc.). Are there any open source codecs for them?