P.S.  when I eventually got the result from 'du' it did not tell me what units the output is reported in. Sorry if I've missed this information somewhere but can you help?

Caro

----- Forwarded Message ----
From: caro davy <caro_davy@yahoo.co.uk>
To: s3tools-bugs@lists.sourceforge.net
Sent: Thu, 13 January, 2011 10:06:05
Subject: misleading error message from s3cmd du

I ran command

 s3cmd du s3://<bucket>

and got this error

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    An unexpected error has occurred.
  Please report the following lines to:
   s3tools-bugs@lists.sourceforge.net
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Problem: AttributeErr: S3Error instance has no attribute 'Code'
S3cmd:   1.0.0-rc1

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/s3cmd", line 1899, in ?
    main()
  File "/usr/bin/s3cmd", line 1843, in main
    cmd_func(args)
  File "/usr/bin/s3cmd", line 79, in cmd_du
    subcmd_bucket_usage(s3, uri)
  File "/usr/bin/s3cmd", line 105, in subcmd_bucket_usage
    if S3.codes.has_key(e.Code):
AttributeError: S3Error instance has no attribute 'Code'

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    An unexpected error has occurred.
    Please report the above lines to:
   s3tools-bugs@lists.sourceforge.net
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


It was my own stupidity, I'd misspelled the bucket name. But the error message was very misleading, especially for a non-coder such as myself. Would be nice if it said 'no bucket of this name' or somesuch (don't know if this is possible, of course).

Caro