Menu

syntax error in rwsecure's hosts.deny entry

Help
2007-04-14
2013-03-27
  • patrick bennett

patrick bennett - 2007-04-14

I think inetd does not understand the rwsecure syntax in hosts.deny because inetd/hosts.deny does not support inline "#" commmenting and as a result is recognizing the minutes field in rwsecure's time stamp comment as a shell command.  I say this because the hosts.deny man page states that there is an optional third field in the config line for a shell command, thus: {daemen} : {origin address} : {shell command to execute}.  The man page also states that lines that *begin* with "#" are comments, but does not specify that anything after a "#" in a line is a comment.

Here's an example from my logs:

/var/log/auth.log:
      Apr 13 07:30:09 gateway sshd[12654]: Failed password for illegal user ralph from 220.128.206.131 port 33475 ssh2
      Apr 13 07:30:09 gateway sshd[12707]: error: /etc/hosts.deny, line 88: bad option name: "30"

/etc/hosts.deny, L88:
      ALL: 220.128.206.131    # Added by rwsecure on Apr 13 2007 07:30:06

man hosts.deny:

ACCESS CONTROL RULES
           Each access control file consists of zero or more lines of text.  These
           lines are processed in order of appearance. The search terminates  when
           a match is found.

o      A  newline  character  is ignored when it is preceded by a back-
                  slash character. This permits you to break up long lines so that
                  they are easier to edit.

o      Blank  lines  or  lines  that  begin  with  a  `#' character are
                  ignored.  This permits you to insert comments and whitespace  so
                  that the tables are easier to read.

o      All  other  lines  should  satisfy  the following format, things
                  between [] being optional:

daemon_list : client_list [ : shell_command ]
    (...)
    EXAMPLES
    (...)
    /etc/hosts.deny:
              in.tftpd: ALL: (/usr/sbin/safe_finger -l @%h | \                /usr/bin/mail -s %d-%h root) &

I like the comment, but I think it will have to go on a seperate line, eg:

# 220.128.206.131 Added by rwsecure on Apr 13 2007 07:30:06
    ALL: 220.128.206.131

• RWalz

RWalz - 2007-11-13

Should be fixed in v0.5.  Thanks!