Menu

Know: Difference between jBPM and RUNA

Help
2005-11-25
2013-03-11
  • Nobody/Anonymous

Hi.,
       I'm a newbie to workflow world, and would like to know the differences between JBoss jBPM and RUNA in both conceptual and technical view.

Replies are highly appreciated.

Regards.,
    Lisa

• Vitaliy Semochkin

Hi, Lisa

JBoss jBPM is a workflow engine  while RUNA WFE is a workflow environment

The differences between environment and engine is the same as differences between car and car engine.

workflow engine is a application/library that provides means for process execution to environment (e.g  WFMOpen, JBOSS jBPM, Bossa are engines).

environment provides:
      user interface - form player, tasklist (check our online demo at http://wf.runa.ru/English/OnLineDemo/Online_demo.html  to see how it looks like)
      integration means (RUNA WFE provides integration with LDAP/MS Active Directory)
      bots/robots  - kind of applications  that act like users in business processes
      etc...

If you want to build you own workflow environment  from scratch you need   engine (unless you want to build engine from scratch too).
      If you want to automate business processes of your customer you can take RUNA WFE or some commercial  environment like Oracle or IBM.

Regards,
      Vitaliy

• Nobody/Anonymous

HI.,
        Thanks for your prompt and precise reply. Now I could able to understand the main differences between the two.
        Just arised a question... whether RUNA could replace jBPM? as you said, RUNA is an envirnoment, which I think more powerful than an engine, which ofcourse (an engine) comes together with.

Thanks.

• Vitaliy Semochkin

Hi, Lisa

re: Just arised a question... whether RUNA could replace jBPM?  as you said, RUNA is an envirnoment, which I think more powerful than an engine, which ofcourse (an engine) comes together with.

It is possible in theory to replace JBOSS jBPM with other  engine  like WFMOpen or Shark, but why?
      We use enhanced version of JBOSS jBPM and so far our clients happy with it.
      Does JBOSS jBPM meet your needs?

Regards,
      Vitaliy

• Nobody/Anonymous

Hi.,
      Thanks for ur reply.

Re:We use enhanced version of JBOSS jBPM and so far our clients happy with it.
      Ans:Then what about RUNA?

Re:Does JBOSS jBPM meet your needs?
      Ans:Ofcourse, but if RUNA is more efficient and powerful then why don't we go for it.

Thanks.

• Vitaliy Semochkin

Hi, Lisa

Re:We use enhanced version of JBOSS jBPM and so far our clients happy with it. 
      Ans:Then what about RUNA? 

Our clients are happy using RUNA WFE with JBOSS jBPM as  engine.

Re:Does JBOSS jBPM meet your needs?
      Ans:Ofcourse, but if RUNA is more efficient and powerful then why don't we go for it. 

RUNA WFE doesn't provide its own engine, RUNA WFE is an environment that uses JBOSS jBPM an engine.

You can not compare environment (RUNA WFE)  with its engine (JBOSS jBPM) as you can not compare a car with its engine.

Regards,
      Vitaliy

• Nobody/Anonymous

Hi.,
        An interesting discussion.. a very good reference with Car and engine.

Thanks.

• Vitaliy Semochkin

Hi, Lisa

>An interesting discussion
      >Thanks

You are welcome.

May I ask you few questions too?

We collect information what users new to workflow/BPM solutions think of our product.

Did you try our demo?
      Did you find UI friendly?
      Did you try other workflow systems (e.g. Oracle Workflow)?
      Can you compare RUNA WFE with other systems you tried?

Regars,
      Vitaliy

• Nobody/Anonymous

>Did you try our demo?
      ans:Yes, the demo is nice and clear

>Did you find UI friendly?
      ans: The interface is clear but I didn't get system menu purpose.

• Vitaliy Semochkin

>The interface is clear but I didn't get system menu purpose.

System menu allows you  to grant system wide permissions to executors (actors/groups)there.
      E.g. permission to login to system and permission to deploy new processes.

Regards,
      Vitaliy