Menu

Different Maximum Upload Rates

Daesh
2005-02-05
2013-04-16
  • Daesh

Daesh - 2005-02-05

*I added this somewhere else too I think, sorry, which one is right?*

This is just a small fix that would help people with ADSL (or at least me) a lot.

Currently Rufus has a "Global Max Upload Rate" which is great but with ADSL you can't upload at your maximum while downloading or you'll download quite slowly.

As you no doubt know this is because recognition packets won't get out (stupid Asymmetricalness <--New word).

Anyways, if you could include two options:
                1) A Global Maximum Upload while Downloading
                2) A Global Maximum Upload while Seeding

For example, on my line I can upload at ~40-45kbp/s while downloading but my line actually caps ~50-60kbp/s.

Would this be possible?

Thanks and great job on Rufus!  I love it!

• d0c 54v4g3

d0c 54v4g3 - 2005-02-07

Hey daesh,

I'm not 100% sure what you want added.  The "Global Max Upload Rate" limits the amount of data that is uploaded to other users - giving you the bandwidth for requesting new pieces and responding to others requests.

You can then use the 'on completion' settings in prefs to change the upload rate to something higher when the torrent is complete/ready for seeding.

Hope that helps.

d0c

• Daesh

Daesh - 2005-02-08

Perhaps an example would help.

Let's say I'm downloading 3 torrents.  While they're downloading I need to cap my upload at 40kbp/s.  This is because (being on an ADSL line) for every packet that comes in, an "acknowledgement" packet must be sent.

If I'm uploading at too high a rate while I'm trying to download then the acknowledgement packets won't make it out and my download will slow down drastically (I'm talking 5-20kbp/s instead of 160-170ish).

When I have nothing downloading though I don't have to cap my upload.  That is to say I can upload at around 55-60kbp/s.

Now I could change the on completion options if there was only one torrent incoming but when I have torrents in the queue that won't work.

So the:

"1) A Global Maximum Upload while Downloading "

would refer to my upload while other torrents are incoming (upload capped at 45kbp/s)  whereas

"2) A Global Maximum Upload while Seeding "

would refer to my upload when they are no other torrents downloading and I'm seeding a bunch of torrents.

Like I said your solution would work fine for a single torrent but (as is generally the case) when more I have more than one torrent downloading (unless they finish at EXACTLY the same time) then it won't work unsupervised.

Does that make more sense?  Sorry my first post was confusing.  I can clarify further if you need.