Menu

Regular crashes

2005-09-05
2013-04-16
  • Mr Splenius

Mr Splenius - 2005-09-05

Every few hours I get a windows exception message box that states "The instruction at 0xXXXXXXX referenced memory at 0xXXXXXXXX. The memory could not be "written".

Of course this is very annoying!

Would it be possible to catch those kind of win32 exceptions? I know this is possible in C or C++...not sure about python.

If you had a separate process monitoring rufus.exe you could make it restart if it gets one of those exceptions and carry on as if nothing had happened! (Well you should put a message in the logfile of course to indicate what caused the exception).

Thanks

Mr Spenius

• marc

marc - 2005-09-06

You will get that error from other programs as well. I know for instance in games such as World of Warcraft they have that issue and they recommend checking your ram for quality.

• Mr Splenius

Mr Splenius - 2005-09-06

I very much doubt this is due to RAM failures. It normally means the program has accessed memory through a bad pointer. In C: int *x=0;*x=0; will produce the error.

However, it is possible to catch and log these errors in your code so you can find out what is causing them. There doesn't seem much point in NOT having such a catch and log system...after all you can still display the same error in a message box if you want to after logging it.

Mr Splenius

• d0c 54v4g3

d0c 54v4g3 - 2005-09-07

Hey mrsplenius,

Can you give me the specs of your system?

d0c

• Mr Splenius

Mr Splenius - 2005-09-07

Windows XP service pack 1, 1024 MB RAM, AMD Athlon 2000+. Anything else you want to know?

• d0c 54v4g3

d0c 54v4g3 - 2005-09-07

Hey,

Can you also post any log entries from your Event Viewer that are linked to this... and anything in your rufus error log (in Rufus program files folder - rufus.exe.log)  I basically need as much info as you can give me to work out what is going on.

Thanks

d0c

• d0c 54v4g3

d0c 54v4g3 - 2005-09-07

Also I'd suggest the same thing as strkefoc - check your ram and even try swapping the DIMMs between the slots if you have 2.  I have seen similar problems with a laptop that had oxidised contacts on the memory expansion DIMM, the DIMM was reseated and the problems went away.

If you are looking for something to check the memory I've used Memtest86 before and, though it takes a while, it is worth it. http://www.memtest86.com/

Cheers

d0c

• d0c 54v4g3

d0c 54v4g3 - 2005-09-07

http://www.memtest.org/ seems to be a more up-to-date version of the above.

d0c