Menu

Trouble instlaling 0.6.5 on (K)Ubuntu

2005-10-16
2013-04-16
  • Jonathan2007

Jonathan2007 - 2005-10-16

Hi. I am trying to install Rufus 0.6.5 on Kubuntu Breezy using Strikeforce's deb files. His deb is located here http://strikeforce.dyndns.org/files/ You can see my posts about trying to get it to run on pages 9 and 10 of this thread at the UbuntuForums http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=57590&highlight=rufus The problem is that I can't get Rufus to open. I first tried it in Hoary using Strikeforce's deb for Hoary but Rufus refused to open. I decided to upgrade to Breezy and after I did I uninstalled the Hoary package and installed the Breezy package. But the same thing occurred. Strikeforce has tried to help me a lot. I believe I have all the necessary depencies but I am getting stuff in the error.log and in the rufus.log. My error.log says the following:
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/rufus/rufus.py", line 1865, in run
        app = MyApp(False)
      File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/rufus/rufus.py", line 1845, in __init__
        wx.App.__init__(self, flag)
      File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/wx-2.6-gtk2-unicode/wx/_core.py", line 7473, in __init__
        self._BootstrapApp()
      File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/wx-2.6-gtk2-unicode/wx/_core.py", line 7125, in _BootstrapApp
        return _core_.PyApp__BootstrapApp(*args, **kwargs)
      File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/rufus/rufus.py", line 1850, in OnInit
        frame = Reba(path, sys.argv[1:])
      File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/rufus/rufus.py", line 164, in __init__
        self.friends = friend.FriendList(self.btconfig.Get("path"))
      File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/rufus/friend.py", line 119, in __init__
        path = self.btconfig.Get("path")
    AttributeError: 'str' object has no attribute 'Get'

My rufus.log says the following:
    Rufus requires wxwindows 2.5.2.8u
    Installed wx version: 2.6.1.1pre
    Web Browser
    Software package rely on your $BROWSER variable being set.
    export BROWSER='firefox'
    File Browser
    Software package rely on your $FILEBROWSER variable being set.
    export FILEBROWSER='konqueror'
    If you have filenames encoded in the encoding of your locale, then
    you may want to set the G_BROKEN_FILENAMES=1 environment variable.
    Loading Images /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/rufus

Strikeforce even sent me a python.py to replace with my current one but that didn't help. When I run Rufus from a terminal it just takes me back to $.

If you have any suggestions I am open to trying this app. It looks great and I am sick of using that resource hog Azureus. Thanks for taking time to read my post and for making this app.

• d0c 54v4g3

d0c 54v4g3 - 2005-10-21

Hey,

Can you post a list of the different versions of the Rufus related packages you have installed - python, wxpython etc.  Also check the permissions on the btconfig.ini file as it looks like it is initialised as a string - this shouldn't happen and may be a bug.  I will check.

I don't have a linux distro running at the moment as I destroyed (dropped) my laptop a few weeks back and am waiting on a new motherboard for it.  Should be here early next week so I will be able to help more then.

Cheers

d0c

• superontvetter

superontvetter - 2005-10-21

I dunno the cause.
      But what i know is that i've installed rufus a couple days back from a fresh kubuntu 5.10 + python-wxgtk2.6 + strikeforce deb package and it still works without any problems.
      Maybe it's some update package in the beginning of 5.10 that broke your stuff.

• Jonathan2007

Jonathan2007 - 2005-10-23

Sorry it took me so long to respond. I have been busy with school and work.I am using:
      python-wxgtk2.6
      python 2.4
      python-wxversion = 2.6.1

But the weird thing is it says I have python-wxversion 2.6.1 but the only wxpython package I see (when I search for python) is 2.5.3. So maybe I am missing something... Any ideas?

• marc

marc - 2005-10-27

Can you try the following and post the output please.

sudo aptitude search python-wxgtk | grep 'i'

sudo aptitude search python-wxgtk2.4
        p   python-wxgtk2.4

• superontvetter

superontvetter - 2005-10-24

I am not so much a python guy myself yet, but my packages are:

python                  2.4.2-0ubuntu2  (nothing to do with rufus my guess)
      python2.4             2.4.2-1
      python-wxgtk2.4    2.4.4.1ubuntu1
      python-wxgtk2.6    2.6.1.1.1ubuntu2
      python-wxversion   2.6.1.1.1ubuntu2

• marc

marc - 2005-10-24

It could possibly be trying to use python-wxgtk2.4 what dependancies are required for that?

In my package list for breezy I don't have python-wxgtk2.4 Can you try erasing that.  Only if there are no dependancies associated with it.

• superontvetter

superontvetter - 2005-10-24

whispering: i am the one with rufus working ;-)

• marc

marc - 2005-10-26

As you can see I'm really switched on :(

Yeah just clicked to that.

• Jonathan2007

Jonathan2007 - 2005-10-27

for the first one i got

p   python-wxgtk2.4                 - wxWindows Cross-platform C++ GUI toolkit (
      i   python-wxgtk2.6                 - wxWidgets Cross-platform C++ GUI toolkit (

for the second i got
      p   python-wxgtk2.4                                   - wxWindows Cross-platform C++ GUI toolkit (wxPython binding)

for the 3rd one (that one was supposed to be separate right? of course i used a sudo apititude search in front of it) i got a big long list of scrolling through packages. it gave me nothing but the big list in the end.

• marc

marc - 2005-10-28

and you try and remove python-wxversion and see what it wants to remove.

I don't mean remove it just see what it wants to remove I still personally think that some how python-wxgtk2.4 is getting called.

• Jonathan2007

Jonathan2007 - 2005-10-28

I tried that in Synaptic and it said it wanted to remove python-wxgtk2.6 and rufus. Hope that helps...

• marc

marc - 2005-10-31

Are you able to delete python-wxgtk2.4?  I'm thinking that thats what is causing the issues?

• Jonathan2007

Jonathan2007 - 2005-11-01

It is not installed or so says Synaptic. How would I go about deleting it if maybe some of it got left behind?

• superontvetter

superontvetter - 2005-11-02

Have you tried removing and reinstall python-wxgtk2.4 and 2.6?

I did a complete reinstall of kubuntu 5.10 today, and again strikeforce package worked flawless here. It must be something on your system and the question remains, what.

• Jonathan2007

Jonathan2007 - 2005-11-05

You are never going to believe this superontvetter, but your suggestion worked. Thanks a ton.

I only had python-wxgtk2.6 installed so I uninstalled that and it took Rufus with it. Then I reinstalled both 2.4 and 2.6 and then used strikeforce's breezy deb (just like i have done so many times before) and it installed and I started it and it opened fine.

Thanks again so much.