Menu

Broadband drops when using Rufus

lamoon1
2006-01-03
2013-04-16
  • lamoon1

lamoon1 - 2006-01-03

Hi  I've been using Rufus for several weeks and my Broadband connection keeps dropping out - up to 30 times a day.  I've had my Broadband checked by my ISP and by BT and they both say it's because I'm using P2P software.  Is this a known problem?  Can anyone help?  I don't want to stop using Rufus as it's the 'friendliest' Torrent client I've found

• panique

panique - 2006-01-04

This problem doesn't have anything to do with Rufus, and changing to a different client isn't going to solve the problem.  All P2P software, and BitTorrent in particular, open a LOT of connections, several hundreds (depending on the number of torrents you're running).  The most likely cause of your problem is that your modem/router cannot keep up.

Make sure you have the latest firmware for your modem/router, google around to see if there're fixes/patches for your brand/model.  If necessary, you may have to buy a new modem/router (I did).

Apart from that, some other things you could do is to ask your telco company to check your lines.  Your modem should tell you what kind of signal-to-noise ratios you're getting (10 or more is good, 5 or less is bad).  Make sure you have filters on your phone lines (you don't need a filter for your modem line).  Don't forget about your home security alarm, if it's hooked up to the phone lines, it will need a filter too.

Last resort if you cannot get your SNR up to a decent level: tell your ISP to lower your connection speed.  Although no one likes to have to lower their connection speeds, this cannot be helped: the higher your speed is, the shittier your SNR is going to be.  You and your ISP will have to play around to find an optimum level.

Good luck, and a Happy New Year :)

• xxjoaniexx

xxjoaniexx - 2006-01-08

Another thing you might consider is that P2P programs generally try to use all of your upload bandwidth.  This will have an effect on your download bandwidth.  I generally limit my upload bandwidth to about 75% of my available badwidth and that seems to help the bandwidth overall.

cheers