Menu

modifying rufus for linux

tsunam
2005-11-08
2013-04-16
  • tsunam

tsunam - 2005-11-08

I've been trying to get rufus to install properly into a linux system (everything in /usr/share/rufus/, does not make for a proper install unfortuantely). I've had to repackage the entire thing so that all the Rufus files minus rufus.py goes into /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/Rufus. This all works fine with a patch to the imports, but I'm currently stumped by this one. I can't see how having changed where the import comes from..changes how friend is defined...any direction or help is appreciated

Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/usr/share/rufus/rufus.py", line 1945, in run
        app = MyApp(False)
      File "/usr/share/rufus/rufus.py", line 1925, in __init__
        wx.App.__init__(self, flag)
      File "/usr/lib64/python2.4/site-packages/wx-2.6-gtk2-unicode/wx/_core.py",    line 7473, in __init__
        self._BootstrapApp()
      File "/usr/lib64/python2.4/site-packages/wx-2.6-gtk2-unicode/wx/_core.py",    line 7125, in _BootstrapApp
        return _core_.PyApp__BootstrapApp(*args, **kwargs)
      File "/usr/share/rufus/rufus.py", line 1930, in OnInit
        frame = Reba(path, sys.argv[1:])
      File "/usr/share/rufus/rufus.py", line 152, in __init__
        self.friends = friend.FriendList(self.btconfig)
    NameError: global name 'friend' is not defined

• marc

marc - 2005-11-08

What OS are you using?

E.g. Debian derivative.

Easiest way is to type python -OO rufus.py.

However you need your home directory created which is what the install script does.  The rufus script automates it for you however manually just look at that file.

If you need a deb package have a look in the ubuntu backports forum there is a deb package there.

• tsunam

tsunam - 2005-11-08

Well let me explain better. I'm not building this on a rpb based system, and if the deb package used the install script included in the packaging, it does the same exact thing as I mentioned above (putting all files into /usr/share/rufus..which is not a proper install on any linux system).

I'm creating a ebuild for gentoo linux that I will also be the maintainer of. As the program installs now, it shouldn't be allowed into the tree because of the above everything in /usr/share/rufus. Thus I created a  setup.py file to install all the python files where they belong (depending on where python is installed)

This has caused the slight problem I described in the top post that friend is no longer defined globally. I've been unable to find where its defined..and how the change of just the import location causes a loss of global definition. (I've found friends = {} but not a friend definition)

Naturally, the home directory is made. It can be made one of two ways. With the install scripts file that is put into /usr/bin/rufus or by adding a check in __main__ that will make the .Rufus dir.