Archon / Adept game remake beginning

Discussion
2004-08-16
2013-04-09
  • Thad Guidry

Thad Guidry - 2004-08-16

I am beginning from scratch an Archon / Adept type strategy game with "Wrash Unleashed" type advanced elements that will be FREEWARE.  I have decided to learn Ruby and henceforth have picked RUDL for development with SDL.  Hopefully I'm making a logical choice?  This project has always been a goal of mine and so it WILL be completed.  The basics to start will be 2D Graphics, Sound, Music(mp3 - orchestrated with Reason2.0), Mouse / Keyboard Input.  Eventually OpenGL elements will be added slowly, as I begin to learn, possibly in the interface area and eventually with board pieces.

I'd be interested in any pointers, suggestions, etc.  I have not planned to begin a project page on SourceForge until about 50% complete.

• Renne Nissinen

Renne Nissinen - 2004-08-18

Your choice of development tools seems wise to me ;)

As for pointers.. Although both RUDL and Ruby are rather painless to program, I'd suggest that you don't jump right into making the game, but try out different aspects of RUDL by writing some small test programs at first. Especially input events and graphics. Then, when you know how they need to be done, you should be able to get away with less rewriting when making the actual game engine. Then again, Ruby makes rewriting easier than a lot of other languages :)

• Thad Guidry

Thad Guidry - 2004-08-18

Rewriting was actually WHY I picked Ruby in the first place.  I have snippets of source code in Java and C that I need to hack and port, so Ruby was a natural choice.  I am currently experimenting with the core engine, events module now.  For a close approximation of what it will look like, just do a search for Wrath Unleashed for the Playstation2 and if you see hexagonal grid layouts in 2D format, that's what I'm going for.  The 3D screenshot examples are nice, but I am thinking of just sticking with the 2D grid (board) layout for now, maybe 3D can be added next year with help from the community.  System requirements will be kept low, 400mhz PentiumII/Celeron maybe lower.  Thanks for the pointers.

• Tom Copeland

Tom Copeland - 2004-08-23

Hi Thad -

Sounds nifty... once you get further along, you may want to consider posting the project on RubyForge:

http://rubyforge.org/

I think you'll find that the speed will be good and it's generally more tailored towards Ruby projects!

Yours,

Tom

• Danny van Bruggen

Nice to be visited by the Rubyforge man himself ;)

RUDL actually lived on my home server, connected by cablemodem for the first year or two :)

I like your dedication: too many projects die after the experimental phase. Then it turns out that finishing a project can be very, very boring.

Playing mp3s is an issue, I think. I'm personally waiting for SDL_sound to be released so I can dump SDL_mixer. SDL_sound should play most formats.

• Tom Copeland

Tom Copeland - 2004-08-23

> Nice to be visited by the Rubyforge man himself ;)

Tirelessly working for the consolidation of Ruby projects, that's me :-)

> RUDL actually lived on my home server

Heh, yup, that's where RubyForge is... albeit behind a business DSL line - 6 MB up, 786 down.

Yours,

Tom

• Asfand Yar Qazi

Asfand Yar Qazi - 2004-10-18

SDL_Sound is only a sound loader - you still need SDL_mixer to mix the loaded sound chunks.

• Danny van Bruggen

According to the plans on the SDL_Sound mailing list, the next big version will also have a mixer. We will include it by that time.

• Asfand Yar Qazi

Asfand Yar Qazi - 2004-10-25

Out of curiousity, can I see the link to this discussion?