Menu

Help!! Adding new HD when old HD died....

2004-10-18
2013-05-01
  • esquire-cjl

esquire-cjl - 2004-10-18

All of the info I've found online involves mirroring the old Hard Drive onto the new Hard Drive.  Is it possible to simply add a brand new hard drive if your old drive is completely dead? 

If anyone has any info, please post.

Thanks.

• Nobody/Anonymous

I have the EXACT same problem.  What is the recommended process if you already have a fried HD?

• Nobody/Anonymous

Yes. It is not only possible, but I just did it on an old original 2000 series PVR. That PVR had two old drives. I found the drive images on line, and formatted a new drive, added the image, and patched it for ONE drive use. The unit booted up and works fine, and I moved NOTHING from my previous drives.

Start here: http://rtvpatch.sourceforge.net/ and click on the DOWNLOADS section and get the patch program.

There use to be many places on the web that had disk images, so go find one. (try here, but people PLEASE do not abuse this site or it will disappear as well) http://rgb.cc/replaytv/. You can find all the programs, utilities, and manuals, and disk images there.

Download the one for you machine. Make sure you get the right one. Prepare the drive in you computer as per the instructions, and then insert it into your Replay.

It should work just fine. Mine required that I run RTVPatch on it one more time to set the drive to a single drive spec, and then it worked great.

Good luck.

• esquire-cjl

esquire-cjl - 2004-11-10

Thanks for your post.  I also found someone on eBay selling CD's with the images and utilities all together on one CD.  It's supposed to be streamlined/automated.  If you go to eBay and type in "Replay TV CD" it will come up.  I haven't tried it yet, but I plan to soon.  I'll post here if it works. 

• esquire-cjl

esquire-cjl - 2004-12-02

Here's my UPDATE.  I did buy the CD from eBay and it was awesome.  It has everything you need, disk images, utilities and directions.  Go to eBay and type in: Replay TV CD.  If anyone else needs to upgrade or replace a dead drive, I highly recommend the "all in one place" CD instead of trying to find everything on the web yourself. 

• Nobody/Anonymous

If you are using a modem to connect to the ReplayTV server, it may be necessary to invoke the 382-ReplayZones after performing a restore using the mirror image.  I have been unable to connect to the server and doing a 382-ReplayZones reset the unit to factory setting and I was able to connect after that.

Thanks.

• k7pyd@aol.com

k7pyd@aol.com - 2007-05-27

How do I transfer the image file to my new real play hard drive?
      This is not an update. I just want to replace the bad drive with a new drive.

• derek

derek - 2011-04-30

To post 9: Follow the instructions in post 3

To post 3:  Thanks for the link.  With the old drive dead, there was no way for me to get an image from it.

Before trying 382 zones try 243 zones and choose net connect (make sure the network cable is connected first)