Menu

conecting to server through a computer????

2006-03-07
2013-05-01
  • Nobody/Anonymous

Ok here goes.........
    I have a 5040 WITH lifetime sub on it.

I travel cross country aproximately 7 months out of the year.  I stay in state parks and small RV Parks a lot of the time.  They usually do not have a phone line available when I come in from work each night.

I use a cell phone to connect to the internet through a laptop.  By using a router, I can use internet connection sharing abilities for a couple of laptops.

I have been recording quite a lot of shows for watching when I am in an area that holds no interest to me for being a tourist.

I understand that I can use the replay for up to about a month at a time without having it call in to verify subscription (just to watch shows I've allready recorded).

Ok.....now to the question......
    Is it possible to set up the replay on a router to use the shared internet connection on the laptop to verify subscription if I am on the road when it needs to call in?
    If this is possible.....any help on settings on the replay unit to make it go through the connection on the laptop?

Right now it is hooked to a DSL modem/router so I do have knowledge of setting it up for that (just not sure about sending it through a computers connection, instead of directly to the modem).

Sorry for being long winded on it (just trying to give as much information as possible).

Thank you all for any help you can give.

• Nobody/Anonymous

I am slightly confused: When you travel, you use your cell phone as a wireless modem, or does your cell phone provide a data access port (which is what my Sprint Treo 650 does)?

If the phone is acting like a modem, You should see if a cable is available that allows the phone to be used as a wireless modem. I use to have a Motorola cable for this that let me connect a phone (or modem in a computer) to an RJ-11 jack. The other end of the cable connected to a small box and then that box to the cell phone. You could actually pick up the analog phone, dial a number and the cell phone would dial that number via cell and then connect the cell phone to the analog phone. If this is the case, it is obviously an easy connection. Simply connect the Replay to the analog port and let it dial.

(see http://www.bmyers.com/public/938.cfm?sd=30 for modem calls.)

If you are saying that your cell phone supplies an IP address and transfers data, if you can connect it to your computer, why can't you connect it to your replay as you do with your DSL at home the same way? That part confuses me. You may have to change the Replay network settings, but you said you were familar with that.

What am I missing?

• Nobody/Anonymous

I expect (but don't know) that your Replay's network settings are set to automatic rather than manual.   I don't think you'd have to change anything.  Right now, your Replay gets an IP address from your DSL modem/router. 

If I understand right, you are connecting your cel phone to your laptop, and using a dial-up application on your laptop to make your cel phone dial into your ISP; you then share the internet connection through the laptop's ethernet port with a router you take travelling with you.  The connection is shared with another laptop, by plugging that other laptop into the router.

The ReplayTV should behave exactly the same as that other laptop:  You should be able to plug it into one of the other router ports, using a standard ethernet cable, and it should be able to fetch an address from the direct-connected computer, if the direct-connected computer has internet sharing enabled.  The connection will be really really slow, as you know, but if you have patience you can update your program guides and such.  You might want to test it before you leave for your next trip.

• Nobody/Anonymous

I do appreciate the help on this.

The only cable I have been able to find (as of yet) is a USB cable (for Sprint Visions network).  Haven't been able to find one with RJ-11 (that would make it pretty simple :) )

The only reason I ever hook up 2 laptops is to get the emails for two different people (my business partner and I).  Can't really use it to surf the net (it is rather slow).  However.....it actually is faster than the old dial-up I used to have at home (don't really know why).

Funny part about it to me is......I normally will try something out before I start asking "will this work???".  Was just really tired when I thought about doing it that way.

Will definately take the suggestion of trying it out Monday (will be the first chance I get to mess with it again).

Thank you both again for the input.

• Nobody/Anonymous

Slingbox also has a streaming client for PDA phone.