Menu

Will ReplayTV Know I Replaced Hard Drive?

2006-05-15
2013-05-01
  • Nobody/Anonymous

I have the 5040; if I replaced the hard drive for a larger one, will the ReplayTV people know that I replaced it? Do they (or can they) keep track of hardware changes? Just curious.

• Nobody/Anonymous

I doubt they can.

I believe a large amount of the people here have upgraded their drives.
      I personally put a 250gig in mine.
      I would think that if it really mattered.....they would go after the people selling "ready to go" upgrade drives all over ebay.
      This isn't like puting a mod chip in an xbox console.
      Nothing more than upgrading the drive.  It doesn't allow you to do anything illegal with it.
      You still are going to pay the monthly fee or buy the lifetime activation.

As far as I understand it, it is just like upgrading your computer h/d (just a bit more difficult)
      If I am wrong about the legality of this.....someone here will let us know :)

• Nobody/Anonymous

No, they won't, and they can't.

• Nobody/Anonymous

Actually, when the unit calls in for guide info, it CAN (and does) report its status, serial number, hours used, hours left, etc. If you use My.Replay.com, you will see it knows how much HD space you have used and is available (in hours), so obviously the system knows the HD size. my.replay.com properly reports the larger number of hours due to the larger HD I put in my old original Replay unit. So far, no one seems to care.

However, for Replay to come after you they would have to prove they suffered some loss because of your upgrade. Not going to happen. If anything, being able to upgrade the unit keeps you as a customer, and that is a good thing for them.

• Nobody/Anonymous

I have a 5040 with a 120G Hd has been in it for over 2 years (life sub), have had no problems and RTV doesnt care. I have never had any problem or even heard from them on it. I have since bought a second unit and pay 6.95 per month on it.
      I just thinks its a bummer they have switched to the PC only format. I have friends that have wanted to get a new RTV but no longer can.