Still active?

2006-12-17
2013-04-08
  • Matthias Heinz
    Matthias Heinz
    2006-12-17

Hi,

is this project still active? The last news entry is from 2005 and the last commit to the cvs was also some times ago...

• Rich
      Rich
      2006-12-23

> is this project still active? The last news entry is from 2005 and the last commit to the cvs was also some times ago...

As active as it can be when the owner/author has not been seen for a long long time.

• Matthias Heinz
        Matthias Heinz
        2006-12-23

But there is some further development, right?

I saw some patches in the forum, so the driver will run with newer kernel versions, but what about getting the driver into the kernel?

• Rich
          Rich
          2006-12-23

> But there is some further development, right?

In the sense that some of us with cards with the chipset and enough knowledge have submitted patches that make it work with the newer kernels.

> I saw some patches in the forum, so the driver will run with newer
          > kernel versions, but what about getting the driver into the kernel?

That would be ideal, but I myself don't know how to go about getting it submitted into the kernel (not that I couldn't find out how from searching Google/Yahoo).  If you want to research how to go about attempting to submit it and then make a submission, please, feel free to do so.

• Matthias Heinz
            Matthias Heinz
            2006-12-24

Well i guess this project needs an active developer for that, who takes care about the project and newer kernel versions. And then the driver should be somewhat stable.

And if you post it on the LKML and if you're lucky, then Linus might include it in the kernel. Or you talk with Andrew Morton and ask him, if he can put this driver in his patchset.

• GoranHagar
      GoranHagar
      2006-12-26

I suggest that someone who is now helping development with patches sends an email to John W. Linville <linville@redhat.com> who is the official Linux kernel wireless maintainer.

Just my 2¢.

Fabio

• Hauke Mehrtens
      Hauke Mehrtens
      2007-01-02

I think the easiest and fastest way would be to open a fork of this project on Sourceforge with the old code base with all the patches form the forum and more people, who want to develop can access the cvs.

When it is running with new kernels and it doesn't need its own stack it can be integrated into the kernel with its own stack you can't integrate it.

If you need help I can setup the platform on Sourceforge but I can't code in C. ;-)

• Matthias Heinz
        Matthias Heinz
        2007-01-07

Well, if you've got time to manage the project than just do it and announce it here (in both forums).

And add in your message that those who write patches get developer access ;)

• Markus Gothe
          Markus Gothe
          2007-01-07

Yeah, you can add me as developer / manager.

• Hauke Mehrtens
          Hauke Mehrtens
          2007-01-07

Ok

I will open a new project and post the information in the forum, when I am ready.

• Hauke Mehrtens
        Hauke Mehrtens
        2007-01-07

I have registered a new project as a fork of this project. It takes about 1 or 2 business day till it is reviewed and active.

• Hauke Mehrtens
          Hauke Mehrtens
          2007-01-08

It's active!
          https://sourceforge.net/projects/rtl-wifi/

If you want to get access to the svn, I think it's better than CVS, you should ask me.

I will set up the data tomorrow, now I want to sleep ;-)

• Matthias Heinz
            Matthias Heinz
            2007-01-09

Don't forget to post a big message in both forums and maybe a small note for slashdot.org